Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

MERLINV12

WANTED: No4 Company 2nd Batt Coldstream Guards 1917-18.

MERLINV12

As title, looking for any photographs of No4 Company 2nd Batt Coldstream Guards during 1917-18.

Any photo that can be attributed to No4 Company or platoons within that company, particularly of Lewis Gunners.

Long shot I know, but got lucky after 9 years of trying to find which Company GF was in, so who knows.

Edited by MERLINV12

Margosh

Gosh, what is it today? I just replied on another thread about 2nd Btn. My Gt Uncle was killed at Cambrai on 30th Nov 1917. He was No4 company too (found from the PoW enquiry). I have no photographs of the Btn or Company but would obviously love to see any too.

Margaret

Coldstreamer

I don't recall seeing any at RHQ. I don't go anymorethese days since the archives got moved.

MERLINV12
10 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

I don't recall seeing any at RHQ. I don't go anymorethese days since the archives got moved.

Presumably visiting and searching the archives is no longer possible since they were transferred to to APC in Glasgow ????

Coldstreamer

I d say zero chance of looking yourself!

MERLINV12

Just finished searching 280 pages of the "postcards" topic, and only found 2 Coldstream Guards photos, as I am new to this era, is there any particular reason for this ??

I fully realise my search for a photo of my GF, will no doubt be fruitless, but would be nice to see how he would have looked, so if anyone has a photo of a 2nd Batt CG Private/Guardsman from 1917-18 period, it would be good to see it.

TIA.

Coldstreamer

maybe no one shares Coldstream ones.... I'll see if I have an example as lots of pics but not filed by which battalion

MERLINV12

Thanks you have a PM.

Margosh
22 hours ago, MERLINV12 said:

Just finished searching 280 pages of the "postcards" topic, and only found 2 Coldstream Guards photos, as I am new to this era, is there any particular reason for this ??

I fully realise my search for a photo of my GF, will no doubt be fruitless, but would be nice to see how he would have looked, so if anyone has a photo of a 2nd Batt CG Private/Guardsman from 1917-18 period, it would be good to see it.

TIA.

From time to time I come across CG photos in the right place at the right time and I do look for my Great Uncle. I have some photos of him (pre war and at home in uniform) so I think I would recognise him but haven't yet. That could mean the photos I have seen are not 2nd Btn or simply that he is not on them. If I pick up on anything I will post a link.

Margaret

tullybrone
23 hours ago, MERLINV12 said:

TIA.

Hi,

It might just just be the law of averages.

CG only had 4 Battalions in BEF while some Regiments had 3 or 4 times that number (I haven’t researched but Northumberland Fusiliers spring to mind).

I have a photo of my gf taken in France late 1916 or early 1917 when he was serving 4th CG (wounded 2nd CG Nov 1914). It is posted on the forum.

Steve 

MERLINV12
2 hours ago, Margosh said:

From time to time I come across CG photos in the right place at the right time and I do look for my Great Uncle. I have some photos of him (pre war and at home in uniform) so I think I would recognise him but haven't yet. That could mean the photos I have seen are not 2nd Btn or simply that he is not on them. If I pick up on anything I will post a link.

Margaret

1 hour ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

It might just just be the law of averages.

CG only had 4 Battalions in BEF while some Regiments had 3 or 4 times that number (I haven’t researched but Northumberland Fusiliers spring to mind).

I have a photo of my gf taken in France late 1916 or early 1917 when he was serving 4th CG (wounded 2nd CG Nov 1914). It is posted on the forum.

Steve 

Margaret, thanks for that.

Steve, thanks probably one of the few I found.

Coldstreamer

Michael, Ive sent you 617 photos - hope when you trawl through you find something of use

MERLINV12

Ian,

Ye gods ! Wasn't expecting that many, not that I'm complaining, the more there are, the more chance of finding the one I want :thumbsup: