Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcard from Egypt

themonsstar

I'm not sure where this photograph was taken whether it was in Egypt or one of the countries near there as I've not seen this before. I believe it's a church parade.

IMG_20190831_084227085.jpg

Definitely Egyptian, there's a winged sun disc visible above the dark opening in the pylon (monumental temple gateway) if you zoom in. That said, it may not be ancient - the edges look so crisp.

33 minutes ago, seaJane said:

That said, it may not be ancient - the edges look so crisp.

It seems to be 'Egyptian Revival Architecture' and could perhaps be the entrance to a cemetery or somesuch. But I've googled images and nothing matches exactly.

charlie

Looks to be something built along the architectural lines of the Philae Temple in Aswan.

Philae.PNG.9b5af60ff1aeae3a0d5f1955bb288c7b.PNG

And a modern example (municipal court building in Aswam):

752456807_CourtBuildingAswam.PNG.26413af277eb4593976cebe2559cc0a2.PNG

So, perhaps somewhere on the lower Nile?

Maybe if we could identify a regiment from the cap badges we could figure out where they were located when they were in Egypt ...

Peter

Edit: After poking around the Internet some more I do believe that Charlie was absolutely correct in his posting about it being an example of "Egyptian Revival Architecture". Based on that, the location could be just about anywhere (unfortunately).

Edited by PJS
Kudos to Charlie

Great challenge! Might those two unusually-clad Scots be identifiable to an expert, perhaps (headgear, cutaway jacket)? There's a mix, all right, including what might be a couple of side-caps. Tall moustachioed chap, centre, looking at camera - RE? And a couple of arm-banded signallers, right, perhaps. Appreciate none of this helps, but thought it might entice someone knowledgable...

There's something else on the towers each side but contrast not clear enough; can OP get better detail ? Almost looks like a regimental badge !

161076924_GWFegyptpostcarddetail1.JPG.aa3b1f0025e16c0e3f69d7dd2dda00a6.JPG

Edited by charlie962

Mmmm strange photo.

Egypt but no tropical helmets to see?
Egypye but everyone is warmly dressed?
This "old temple" looks very new!

:glare:

looks more a theater somewere on a beach in France

Looks like a modern version of Egyptian architecture-are there pitched roof buildings behind? Some camp?

It is cold in Egypt in the winter-worked in Luxor a couple of years ago in January and it was freezing in the mornings-one guy on the left does have shorts on!

Do the shadows indicate anything? I would estimate that are about 1.3 times as long as the height of the object. Maybe mid morning in the winter in Egypt?  Looks like a bit of a motley crowd for a church parade, I thought it was all about spit and polish (but I'm happy to show my ignorance).

Peter

That looks to me like Rantara (do I mean Kantara), I think one of the areas along the Suez Canal ?

as in El Qantara. But I cannot match the photo?

Edited by charlie962