Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Air Force in the Army of Occupation

Bordercollie

I recently stumbled across my grandfather's RAF service record.  This was the first I new of his service in the RAF. I knew that he had served in Cologne after the war because my father had lived there as a small boy. He used to joke that the only German he knew was "nichts für die kleinen Kinder" because that is what his older sister used to say to the tram conductor. I can see from the service record that my grandfather also served in Malta but I wonder if anyone can tell me where or what "ISD", "RD" and "Spinola?" were. I assume the last is somewhere near Cologne.  

Screenshot_9.png

1 hour ago, Bordercollie said:

I recently stumbled across my grandfather's RAF service record.  This was the first I new of his service in the RAF. I knew that he had served in Cologne after the war because my father had lived there as a small boy. He used to joke that the only German he knew was "nichts für die kleinen Kinder" because that is what his older sister used to say to the tram conductor. I can see from the service record that my grandfather also served in Malta but I wonder if anyone can tell me where or what "ISD", "RD" and "Spinola?" were. I assume the last is somewhere near Cologne.  

Screenshot_9.png

This may be of interest.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/Malta-and-World-War-I-snippets-from-April-November-1918.669766

Spinola also appears in other GWF threads.  Map attached.

mltahosp1915_thumb_jpg_03f0d84172ac72570c5ebbec22e23364.jpg

Edited by pete-c

Thank you for putting me straight on Spinola Pete-C. I didn't think it sounded very germanic, but if he was posted from "HQ Malta Spinola" the record is silent on where he was posted to.