Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military medal group H thirkell

Pirate

Here is the Gazette entry for the MM SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 29 AUGUST, 1917. 9001

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30259/supplement/9001

Header on previous page 9000

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to award the Military Medal for bravery in the Field to the undermentioned Non-Commissioned Officers and Men: — 

regards

Jon

The MIC shows entry to France 25 Aug 1915

4 minutes ago, Pirate said:

tI don't access to these sites unfortunately.  can anyone download any images for me . Big thanks dave

We try to avoid that, after all, it is how the sites make their money, through subscriptions.

Your local library could offer free access.

Edited by jonbem

The war diary is available for £3.50 download at National Archives HERE

Reference:WO 95/2175/4

Description:

103 Brigade Royal Field Artillery

Date:1915 Aug. - 1917 Oct.

• Admin
28 minutes ago, Pirate said:

I don't access to these sites unfortunately.  can anyone download any images for me . Big thanks dave

Asking people to do this on your behalf is also against the forum rules.

Michelle 

32 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Your local library could offer free access.

If you do go, The war diary is on ancestry too, May 1917 starts HERE

MM awards are often a couple of months before Gazette entry, though no guarantee of mention in diary.

Edited by jonbem

14 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Asking people to do this on your behalf is also against the forum rules.

Michelle 

Sorry  Michelle I didn't realise 

Pirate, if you are still able to work the keyboard after getting your knuckles rapped:

Thirkell was also reported wounded in the Daily Casualty List (available on those subscription sites !!) of 15/9/17. home Town (next of Kin) Ripon. The Casualty List normally came out a month after the wounding, suggesting actual wounding mid August 1917; probably a bit after the event for which his MM was gazetted, I suspect but....

Charlie

8 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

home Town (next of Kin) Ripon

That could lead to a Herbert Thirkell b 1885 Rippon who you can find on the Ripon Census 1901 son of Henry and Mary, brother of Charlie. It's the only hit I got for Ripon but I could have missed something ?

There is a service record on Findmypast for a Herbert Thirkell of Ripon, b 1884, enlisted 1902. Worth checking out.

Charlie also has a surviving service record so, if Herbert's file is inconclusive, Charlie's might give a reference to him under next of kin ?

(i don't have a sub so I cannot check further)

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

46 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

That could lead to a Herbert Thirkell b 1885 Rippon who you can find on the Ripon Census 1901 son of Henry and Mary, brother of Charlie. It's the only hit I got for Ripon but I could have missed something ?

There is a service record on Findmypast for a Herbert Thirkell of Ripon, b 1884, enlisted 1902. Worth checking out.

Charlie also has a surviving service record so, if Herbert's file is inconclusive, Charlie's might give a reference to him under next of kin ?

(i don't have a sub so I cannot check further)

Charlie

Cheers Charlie  I'll try it.

With help I've managed to find out he is mentioned in war dairys and got his MM on 14th July 17 at lankhof farm bunkers  which  is beween YPRES and SINT-Elooi

I've attached a photo.  If you zoom in it makes interesting reading. Does this mean he was mentioned in dispatches?

DAVE

20190831_153935.jpg

1 minute ago, Pirate said:

Does this mean he was mentioned in dispatches?

No. He was awarded the MM. But the Diary entry that day doesn't say it was for acts 'that day'.  Have you found any other clues ?

Charlie

Only clue to when he may of won it is the date 12/7/17  on the same line his name is written.  And on that day lankhof farm bunkers were under heavy fire most of the day

1 minute ago, Pirate said:

the date 12/7/17

Yes, that is the date that the award was authorised by II Corps. It could have been immediate. The 10th July was also a pretty active day. Perhaps it needs to be looked at at a higher level diary ?

Charlie

4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Yes, that is the date that the award was authorised by II Corps. It could have been immediate. The 10th July was also a pretty active day. Perhaps it needs to be looked at at a higher level diary ?

Charlie

How would I go about  that?

The LongLongTrail here tells us this about 103 Bde RFA

250803904_GWF103BdeRFAperLLT.JPG.0c1af1cfe8abc8a873863eddcd046803.JPG

So it remained under 23 Division throughout the war. There may be something in the War Diary for Commander Royal Artillery 23 Div, or higher still. I don't have access to Ancestry who have copies of many of these so I cannot check, I'm afraid. There's going to be another Forumite who is better at this than I.

But we're getting there !

Charlie

32 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

The LongLongTrail here tells us this about 103 Bde RFA

250803904_GWF103BdeRFAperLLT.JPG.0c1af1cfe8abc8a873863eddcd046803.JPG

So it remained under 23 Division throughout the war. There may be something in the War Diary for Commander Royal Artillery 23 Div, or higher still. I don't have access to Ancestry who have copies of many of these so I cannot check, I'm afraid. There's going to be another Forumite who is better at this than I.

But we're getting there !

Charlie

Wow. Getting there yep😁

Think he made it though the war as no record on  CWWG site. 

It's  a shame the family couldn't keep  them or felt they had to sell them because of hard times. 

I've also got a complete 18 per round  so know what he was using. 

Dave

Uhm...is it live?

George

London Gazette 30259 p 9001 28/08/17

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to award the Military Medal for bravery in the Field to the undermentioned Non-Commissioned Officers and Men: —

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30259/supplement/9003

George

Edited by George Rayner

Phew-the word 'complete' was a bit worrying

George