Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Norfolksapper

Framing medals

Norfolksapper

I’m going to reframe my grandads medals as the first job I did was a long time ago and not a particularly good job. I’m sure someone posted on here once that you don't need a box frame and had a technique for doing it?

chaz

come over and join many others here for help and advice https://britishmedalforum.com/

Medaler

Hiya,

That was probably me. You just need an oversized backboard that sits on top of the frame moulding rather than inside the frame rebate.

Mike

Edited by Medaler

oldson

hya,have got mine in pine box with felt covered cardboard backing three slits to slip ribbon through,think mrs got it on ebay 

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

What about this (Lt-Col Dockrell, IA), or this (T/Capt Corbett, IARO)…?Dockrell_small.jpg.0862de25cca2612e563d4f280a27448a.jpgCorbett_small.jpg.b94aadcbee7aa54acbb07cb1c92b9c16.jpg

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Medaler

OK, so this is a bit of a cheat, but............

Medal framing XXL ?

Both cases built by my own (not so fair) hands, and displaying just the tip of a much larger iceberg. Both cases actually split and fit into the boot of the car together.

Mike

Barrow Hill 009.JPG

Barrow Hill 006.JPG

robins2

very very nice,excellent job and display

regards

Bob R.

Medaler
8 hours ago, robins2 said:

very very nice,excellent job and display

regards

Bob R.

Thank you Bob.

They are all medals to local casualties from within a 10 mile radius of where I live, so there are lots of singles and broken trio's amongst them because I am grateful for anything that I can find. The cases are a little bit battle scarred now because they were used a fair bit in various places over the course of the centenary. They were actually fairly cheap to build being just stained pine, though the toughened safety glass was on the expensive side.

I decided to make them myself because commercial versions would have been really expensive, and probably wouldn't have fitted in the car so well. Perhaps a bit of a brave thing to do, taking the collection out into the community, but it all went without incident and I met some wonderful folk everywhere I went. They actually used to come and talk to me about medals in their families and their casualties, so I learned quite a lot.

Regards,

Mike

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All, and Mike,

I well appreciate your Problem with Singles and Broken Groups.

That is one reason why my Collection (based on Dad's and Grandfather's MC Groups) is "officers only" - and almost all the others (predominantly IARO) are complete.

However, I merely wanted to demonstrate to Norfolksapper, that with a simple photocopy and a picture frame, a satisfactory result can be obtained...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

StAubyns
On 01/09/2019 at 17:44, chaz said:

come over and join many others here for help and advice https://britishmedalforum.com/

thanks for the link, I have just registered

chaz

the reason I originally mentioned joining the BMF was that there has been discussion regarding acids in some materials used in framing, either material or sealers that can affect the medals and discolour them