Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HARRY YATES 154535

AndyM

Good evening, 

I’d be grateful if somebody could make out the following surnames for me on this 1911 census - I’m struggling!!! 

I’m currently researching Harry Yates 154535 who was born in Tutbury but moved to Wordsley around 1911 to work at the Glass factory. 

The son in law to the head of house is new information to me and I’ve hit a brick wall trying to find out more about the people he lived with at that time. 

I’d appreciate any help! 

spacer.png

Many thanks.

12 hours ago, AndyM said:

The son in law to the head of house is new information to me and I’ve hit a brick wall trying to find out more about the people he lived with at that time. 

Struggled with this one at first, but I think I've nailed it.

On the 1891 Census of England and Wales, the 6 week old Harry Yates is recorded living at Castle Street, Tutbury. This was the household of his parents, George Yates and Eliza Yates. Amongst their other children living with them is a 13 year old step-daughter Annie Greatorex, born Tutbury..

On the 1911 Census of England and Wales, the head of the household Harry is living with is a William Kenyon, (41) and an Annie Kenyon, (aged 35 and born Tutbury). The couple have been married 18 years.

Note Annie would have only been 16/17 when she married so would have needed parent or guardian permission, so I began to wonder if the couple eloped as I could not find a likely marriage in England and Wales, (yet!)

The couple state they have had four children and all were then still alive. I checked them for their birth records.

Elizabeth Challingsworh, nee Kenyon, aged 18. The birth of an Elizabeth Kenyon, mothers' maiden name not transcribed, was registered in the Burton on Trent District of Staffordshire in Q2 of 1893.

William Kenyon, aged 16. The birth of a William Kenyon, mothers' maiden name Greatorex, was registered in the Burton on Trent District of Staffordshire in Q4 1894.

Nellie Kenyon, aged 14. The birth of a Nellie Gertrude Kenyon, mothers' maiden name not transcribed, was registered in the Burton on Trent District of Staffordshire in Q1 of 1897.

Winnie Kenyon, aged 8. The birth of a Winifred Kenyon, mothers' maiden name not transcribed, was registered in the Walsall District of Staffordshire in Q1 of 1903.

So not quite the smoking gun I'd hoped for, but Williams' information at least started to make the Greatorex connection more feasible.

Up to this point I'd tried via the genealogy sources I have available to me to try and find a marriage between a Kenyon and a Yates or a Greatorex. As you're hopefully aware, the quarterly index of marriages in England & Wales that was published by the General Registers Office did not cross-reference who married who until September 1911. A lot of work has subsequently been done to look up page and Register numbers to try and make those cross-references. As each page normally included two marriages, for each bride you end up with two potential grooms, and vice-versa. This is the stuff we are used to seeing on genealogy sites. But mistakes were made both in the original published indexes and in the subsequent attempts to cross reference them.

Thus on two of my sources I can see that an Annie Eliza Greatorex married in the Burton on Trent District in Q3 of 1892 but no potential husband has been identified for her. Using freeBMD it's sometimes possible to identify who the husband was as it gives you the option to pull together all the names on the same page of the register - see attached. But in this case it appears that page 606 of Burton District Register 6b just gives three names - Annie, plus a George William Wellings and an Annie Goodall. I can find them as a couple who have been married 18 years and living in Burton on Trent on the 1911 Census. So now it looks inceasingly likely that the error was either in the return made by the Burton District Registrar to the GRO, or in the compilation of the information into the quaterly index.

A further bit of digging shows that a William Kenyon is recorded on page 605 of the same register, making him one of five names on that page.

So in summary, I believe Harry Yates is the half brother of the Annie Eliza Greatorex who married William Kenyon in 1892 and who were all living at No.26, Alwen Street, Wordsley, Stourbridge on the 1911 Census of England and Wales.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Annie Eliza Greatorex 1892 Marriage sourced FreeBMD.png

Edited by PRC
Typo

Peter...excellent work.

Annie E Greatorex has a family tree on ancestry, and confirms Harry Yates to be her half brother.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/42780706/person/20139517049/facts

Dave.