Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paul Hildebrand, of the 34th Prussian Regiment - Chapel-en-le-Frith

mbriscoe

I noticed this item whilst looking up the War Memorial in the church/

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Monday 26 May 1919

A HUN MONUMENT.
The mother of German officer who threw himself from an express train in Dove Holes tunnel, and was buried in Chapel-en-le-Frith churchyard, has written to the Vicar of that parish saying she desirous of erecting a stone cross over the grave of her son, to bear the inscription, “In loving memory of Paul Hildebrand, of the 34th Prussian Regiment. ‘Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted.’ The Vicar has consented to the erection of the monument.

Edited by mbriscoe

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any Leutnant Hildebrand listed in the regimental histories of FüsR 34 or IR 94. However his unit should definitely be IR 94 as he was captured on 31 July 1917 near Verlorenhoek.

Jan

Edited by AOK4

24 minutes ago, mbriscoe said:

I wonder if the memorial from the family was left at Chapel-en-le-Frith.

We've visited Chapel en le Frith a few times, hunting round the churchyard to photograph war graves and family headstones which remember soldiers, but unfortunately we've never come across one for Paul I'm afraid. Nothing related to him inside the church either I'm afraid.

Rich

I just found him listed in the Ehrenbuch of Göttingen (as that's where he lived with his parents, his father's profession is given as "Pastor"). Unit also IR 94. POW Camp is given as Donigton Hall (sic).

Edited by AOK4

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

Found hm in the casualty lists, born Ditfurt which ties in with A10209

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/6678902

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/7103060

Charlie

Correct, his birth place was Ditfurt according to the Göttinger Ehrenbuch.

• 3 months later...

Hi

Old thread but I have this on him

Grave 3.63 Cannock Chase

Paul Hildebrand was born in Ditfurt on Friday 4 July 1890.

He served as a Leutnant in 9th Kompanie, 94th Infanterie Regiment and was taken prisoner at Verlorenhoek on Tuesday 31 July 1917. He committed suicide on Friday 4 April 1919.

Records state,

“According to the verdict at the Inquest this prisoner of war threw himself out of a railway carriage window and was killed. He was being transferred to MnH.”

Hildebrand was originally buried St. Thomas Beckett Churchyard, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire in Grave Old Ground.45-46.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke