Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual 03 pouch

Dave1418

C1BCA0A2-9B08-4E36-9CE6-3385E1E5F791.jpeg.76bd5aa6930dd8f8c6668eebbebb16d9.jpeg2B641D69-8DB7-4B38-AE06-FF85100B2391.jpeg.605853f9fc6a1f14357f4f1eee719acb.jpegHi

I have acquired an 03 ammunition pouch however it does appear that it’s never had an additional loop to attach the greatcoat carrier brace.

The other issues I have is that it’s by SEN and dated 1953, a friend has also sent me a picture of two other pouches by the same manufacturer with the same date. These have had a later addition of a leather strap and brass loop. Any information would be grateful appreciated.

Dave

Edited by Dave1418

Dave, 

if its dated 1953 then surely its out of the GWF timescale or have I missed something?

Simon

It is Police issue for pistol ammunition. After the war some forces were still using pieces of leather equipment originally from (and later modelled on) the 1903 and 1914 leather equipment for a long time. The earlier pieces were usually dyed black, later purpose made stuff as here would have been made so. As it was used for pistol order and never required to take the greatcoat carrier straps the requisite loop was deleted from the later production pieces.

BTW - SEN = "S.E. Norris" - eg:

Image result for s e norris leather

Edited by Andrew Upton

Cheers Andrew 

I’ve seen lots of 03 and 14 pattern pistol kit used but never the rifle cartridge carriers.

Dave

17 hours ago, mancpal said:

Dave, 

if its dated 1953 then surely its out of the GWF timescale or have I missed something?

Simon

Perhaps you have 

its Great War period equipment as its 03 pattern with a later date.

1 hour ago, Dave1418 said:

Cheers Andrew 

I’ve seen lots of 03 and 14 pattern pistol kit used but never the rifle cartridge carriers.

My own example. As noted, this style only ever seem to have been made by SEN in 1953...

1903 Pouch composite.jpg

Thanks Dave,

I was about to ask another dim question but Andrews post above seems to have settled my mind. You may have realised that uniforms and kit is not my usual sphere of interest though like anything else if you don't ask you don't learn.

Simon

Hi Andrew

if the three digit numbers are serial numbers ours are pretty close as mine is 075.

On 28/08/2019 at 18:37, mancpal said:

Thanks Dave,

I was about to ask another dim question but Andrews post above seems to have settled my mind. You may have realised that uniforms and kit is not my usual sphere of interest though like anything else if you don't ask you don't learn.

Simon

Hi Simon

every days is a school day for me on here and this is a good school full of excellent articles which can even stump the experts 

Dave

13 hours ago, Dave1418 said:

if the three digit numbers are serial numbers ours are pretty close as mine is 075.

I always took them to be the WD Inspectors mark - so probably both separated by the same desk :-) 

• 3 months later...

I have just got one too! 

15752960392314572372297664842648.jpg