Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial service badge guidance required

mancpal

I’m considering buying an Imperial Service Badge and am seeking a little advice.

Firstly, are there any pointers that would indicate a fake from the genuine article ?

Secondly, I have noted that the crown is usually voided though I have seen a couple of examples which appear to have a non voided solid crown, are both types genuine?

sadly I don’t have bottomless pockets. The price range seems to vary from about £16-30, would that seem a reasonable range (I’m slightly more concerned about authenticity but would find £30 the absolute top end of my budget).

Thanks in advance,

Simon

In retrospect I think I should have posted this in the uniforms section, please move if appropriate 

Simon

Hello Simon,

So far as I am aware these have not been faked, but there is a fair amount of variation in the originals depending on who made them. You may well get a much better quality answer than this because these are not a "speciality" of mine, though I do own a couple.

I would advise studying photo's of known originals (they should be easy enough to find on the tinterweb) and paying particular attention to the pin and the scooped out section on the reverse. On copies of badges the pins are one area that usually lets the fakes down. The originals were quite "heavy duty". I only have a front view of one of mine, but here it is in case it helps.

Regards,

Mike

Imperial Service.JPG

Thanks Mike,

I'm not really a collector though I have over a number of years accumulated a small selection of odds and sods. My interest in this particular item is that I know my great uncle Bill would have (no doubt proudly)  worn one. With what seems like an endless supply of fake goods available (not just WW1 stuff) I'm a bit cautious as to how I spend.

Thanks again,

Simon

2 hours ago, mancpal said:

Thanks Mike,

I'm not really a collector though I have over a number of years accumulated a small selection of odds and sods. My interest in this particular item is that I know my great uncle Bill would have (no doubt proudly)  worn one. With what seems like an endless supply of fake goods available (not just WW1 stuff) I'm a bit cautious as to how I spend.

Thanks again,

Simon

Well, as a general principle, if an item is of low value then it's not really worth faking, and any attempts to do so are usually poor, crude and easily spotted. The general antique rules also hold good in that genuine signs of age and wear, particularly with reference to patina, are very difficult to replicate. The best advice is study pictures, and get around the dealers and handle a few. Recent experiences of mine with shoulder titles have been interesting. I had not been to a militaria fair for years, but ventured out to one recently and bought a few WW1 shoulder titles for half the price that they sell for on Ebay. Shoulder titles are not something I do much with, but they can look grand framed up with medals.

Good luck with your quest,

Mike

Thanks again Mike,

Its odd that you mention shoulder titles, after Ive acquired an ISB my next target is likely to be a particular Manchester Pals shoulder title. This is where it could get tricky for me as I understand forgeries are out there so it'll be a whole new mine field for me.

As I have mentioned I'm not really a collector but there are a few items I'd still like to own but with limitations of both knowledge and cash I feel I will have to tread carefully.

Finally, could you tell me if the Imperial Service Badge was made of silver or was it another "bright" metal.

Simon

42 minutes ago, mancpal said:

could you tell me if the Imperial Service Badge was made of silver or was it another "bright" metal.

Made from white metal/ cupronickel 

J

Thanks J,

I had thought silver may have been an extravagance.

Simon

Sorry Simon, I have been away for a while - but I see you have got the answer.

Mike

Whatever you do don't pay £30 they can be had for around £15. There are variations and some are maker marked these may be a little more.

Regards

Mark