Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belle Vue, Pill-boxes.

Glesga Highlander

Does anyone know if there are two pill-boxes located on a knoll overlooking Westeroozebeke and the Ridge. Thet were originally German but later occupied by the British. In December 1917 a stray German shell entered by the front door killing nine and wounding several others. If it is no longer there are there any photographs in existence.

There were  6 pill boxes at Belle Vue, all occupied, then abandoned, by the British. None there now, but if you could be more specific as to which one you are interested in, can see if any info available. 

Well I'm glad I did not go to any trouble to search for any info or any photos.

The bloke did not say please, or thank you, and did not acknowledge an offer to look for any more info.

48 minutes ago, mebu said:

So he's asked a question and not bothered over the next week to see if there's an answer?

Who knows?  We don't know his situation.  I can see he's only posted a couple of times (in the last year) since 2011; his most recent post before the one you answered being a helpful answer to an old post on a long-forgotten thread.  

11 hours ago, mebu said:

So he's asked a question and not bothered over the next week to see if there's an answer?

10 hours ago, Jim Clay said:

Who knows?  We don't know his situation...

Exactly, Jim.  There can be reasons for someone to appear to disappear: illness,accident, family problems, computer malfunctions. (Recently my 19-year-old PC screen gave up the ghost. I was able to buy a replacement within a day or two, but it might take longer for someone to buy a complete new PC.) Nearly all of us will have been out of action at least once in our lives - and one day we all shall be gone for ever, sometimes unexpectedly so.

Having said that, a month or so ago the descendant of a 1914-18 officer joined the GWF and offered to help with any info he might have. I posted a query - but have heard nothing since.

Moonraker

Chaps and Ladies,I had no intention of starting an argument, or a discussion, on this matter. I merely state that I am glad I did not go to any trouble unearthing photos or info.

If the OP has had a mishap, I would be truly sorry.

However, this is by no means the first instance of people asking questions, only to disappear without thanks after posters have replied with info, showing bad manners.

There have been several threads by disgruntled forummers who have gone to some trouble, without acknowledgement from the OP.

I don't think I shall say any more on this matter.

Edited by mebu
sp

Sorry Mebu, for not getting back to you sooner. My computer crashed when I was trying to update it and I have not been able to access online until my son gave me a loan of his lap-top today. I am truly sorry for getting you into an argument on here which was none of your doing but everything was beyond my control until today.

I thank you for confirming that the pill-boxes I am researching are longer in existence. I was researching the pill-box which was used by the Highland Light Infantry as a temporary HQ and was hit by a stray German shell killing seven and injuring many others.

Once more I apologise to you and other members of the forum for being off line for so long.

Yours Aye!

Charlie McDonald

Charlie, thanks for that: no need to apologise for being offline, can happen to us all with computers.

Sorry if I was a bit tetchy, however I have since looked for any contemporary photos but cannot find any. That doesn't mean there aren't any of course, maybe in some regimental or divisional history. I do have a map of those on the spur surviving the winter battle if it is of any use in identifying the ones of interest. let me know if you want it.

Peter

For anyone else reading this, a more recent proper case of not acknowledging/thanking replies:  a forummer asks for info on air raids, gets 2 replies, both of which required time and effort, and has since been on the forum several times, - were the 2 replies of any use? were the responders wasting their time?

Edited by mebu

There is a case for the default notification settings to be changed so that people visiting for the first time receive an e-mail when they have answers. I have seen people express surprise at there being answers awaiting them, expecting to be e-mailed. Clearly you might have to change your account settings after a time... This would not help the last example raised by mebu. 

This was set up at one time, but the setting must have been wiped by a subsequent upgrade. It has now been reset to work for NEW members. All members can choose to follow or unfollow topics, their own or those created by others.others.

Keith

I do appreciate your efforts Peter and any info re the pill-boxes would be gratefully received. I have been busy decluttering my files and other notes that I have been collecting over the years on the Highland Light Infantry. I came across one reference amongst the regimental magazine of the time which gives some details re the casualties etc., alas, there is no photo with it but I will keep on searching and hope to visit the site next time I am in Ieper area. Thanks to all who took time to research my initial request.

Yours Aye!

Charlie McDonald.

On 09/09/2019 at 13:21, Open Bolt said:

As an aside, I suspect the 'follow' list was also wiped in an upgrade this year?

I follow very few topics, so am not sure, but ungrades can make changes of that sort, so while I can't answer with confidence, I can't personally rule it out.

Thurlow's book is very interesting and useful, however it does not show anything within a few miles of Belle Vue. In fact nothing east of St Julien.

I have looked at the majority of Watson's photos, (although Bob G may still have some more tucked away), and have not found any in the area in question.

Peter

I seem to have came to a 'dead end' in my search for any photos re these pill-boxes Peter but thanks for trying to assist my research. Many thanks for your time and effort it is much appreciated.