Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Non-Commonwealth Soldiers at Tyne Cot

Kilburn45

Hello all,

I'm a CWGC intern working at Tyne Cot til November.

From speaking to many Dutch and Belgian folk i keep hearing 'rumours' and stories of Dutch soldiers being buried at the site and remembered on the memorial wall after fighting and falling for a commonwealth army. However, no one seems to know their names or where they are located. Does anyone have an ideas or knowledge on this or an opinion on whether this could be true?

I already know where the Belgian, Czech and 'Japanese' soldiers are in the cemetery but we get so many visitors from the Netherlands that it would be great to be able to tell them a story about their countrymen.

Thanks for any help I get,

Joe

Joe, 

Welcome to the Forum 

none that i’m aware of, no doubt you have had a look at the CWGC database. 

I know the Japanese Soldier but then again, he wasn’t a Japanese Soldier, he may have been born in Japan and was actually serving in the British and Empire forces at the time of his death. 

There are many cases like that of men being born in a country but never served in that country’s armed forces 

Jamie 

• 2 years later...

(Nederlander)

PRIVATE HENRY JOHN DE VOOGD

Service Number: 1643
Regiment & Unit/Ship

Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

51st Bn.

Date of Death

Died 12 October 1917

Age 34 years old

Buried or commemorated at

TYNE COT CEMETERY

XXXV. G. 18.

Belgium

• Country of ServiceAustralian

1 hour ago, Lorre said:

(Nederlander)

PRIVATE HENRY JOHN DE VOOGD

Service Number: 1643
Regiment & Unit/Ship

Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

51st Bn.

Date of Death

Died 12 October 1917

Age 34 years old

Buried or commemorated at

TYNE COT CEMETERY

XXXV. G. 18.

Belgium

• Country of ServiceAustralian

He is not Dutch. He was born in Eaglehawk, Victoria, where his parents lived as well and his nationality was "British" according to his service files.

Private Henry John de Voogd, son of a Dutch immigrant, served in the 51st Battalion A.I.F., part of the 13th Australian Brigade of the 4th Australian Division. On 12 October 1917 the men of the 4th Australian Division went into action south of Passchendaele to protect the right flank of the 3rd Australian Division. 

1 hour ago, Lorre said:

Private Henry John de Voogd, son of a Dutch immigrant, served in the 51st Battalion A.I.F., part of the 13th Australian Brigade of the 4th Australian Division. On 12 October 1917 the men of the 4th Australian Division went into action south of Passchendaele to protect the right flank of the 3rd Australian Division. 

His parents may have been Dutch, but he was born in Australia and had the British nationality, so he was not a foreign national.

He still got dutch blood!

I guess the OP is probably long-gone, but it is possible to find some people with Dutch connections on the CWGC site if you use the "Further Information" field and input e.g. "Amsterdam" or "Rotterdam." In this way you can find people who were born in that city and also next-of-kin who had addresses in that city.

3 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

I guess the OP is probably long-gone, but it is possible to find some people with Dutch connections on the CWGC site if you use the "Further Information" field and input e.g. "Amsterdam" or "Rotterdam." In this way you can find people who were born in that city and also next-of-kin who had addresses in that city.

Thank You!

Vous parlez de celui ci.

292087504_556857655984419_5576078042391597156_n soldat japo,ais anglais.jpg

292417966_556857722651079_1835675322463330814_n japonais anglais.jpg

On 26/08/2019 at 04:58, Cheshire22 said:

I know the Japanese Soldier but then again, he wasn’t a Japanese Soldier, he may have been born in Japan and was actually serving in the British and Empire forces at the time of his death. 

There are many cases like that of men being born in a country but never served in that country’s armed forces 

Jamie 

https://greatwar100reads.wordpress.com/2020/09/21/monday-monuments-and-memorials-arthur-conway-young-tyne-cot-cemetery-zonnebeke-belgium/

Born in Japan, to British parents.
Percy Temple Bent is the same, except he is commemorated at Thiepval.

I had heard Japanese soldiers were buried in France. I think Japanese sailors were buried in Malta, given their presence in the Mediterranean during WW1.