Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Jager Bn

stevenbecker

Mates,

I am trying to find details on the 11th Jager Bn attached to the Pasha 11 forces to the Ottoman Empire around 1918.

When checking all I found was this German Jager Bn ;

Kurhessisches Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 11

But it shows no service in Palestine 1917-18, only in Italy and France 1917-18

This must be the wrong unit 

The Ottoman/German records show the commander as

Menges Von Maj, and

Gadecke Arnold von    Maj

Can you point me in the right direction?

S.B

Jäger Bataillon 11 wasn't part of the troops in Palestine.

Jan

Mate,

There are many references to the 11th Jager Bn being in Palestine

I show these men there

Baimke    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (11th Jager Bn)        
Fischer     Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Förster or Foerster     Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Gadecke Arnold von    Maj    Yildirim Ordusunda Filistin 11 Avci Taburu komutani (Yildirim Army in Palestine 11th battalion Tabur commander (11th Jager Bn)        
Halle     Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Kaniecki    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Kirchner     Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)    1917-18    
Klepper     Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)    1917-18    
Lansberg    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Leisse Jonny Otto    Jager    4Co/Res. Jäg. Batl. 11 (11th Jager Bn)        (1897 - died 2-9-18) grave at Tarabya Istanbul 
Lück Clemens    Jager    unknown possibly 11th Jager Bn         (died 18-8-18) grave at Tarabya Istanbul 
Luckhardt    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Menges Von    Maj to LtCol     11th Jager Bn Filistin'de 11. Avci Taburu Komutani (1th Army Battalion Commander in Palestine in 1918)    1918-    
Metz    Lt    11th Jager Bn Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion)        
Oesterle     Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Offenberg    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
O'swald (Osswald) Erwin    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        (1882-1947) to Col Reichswehr later WWII Gen 
Rammel     ObLt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion) (11th jager Bn)        
Russ     Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Sälke     Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Schäfer    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Schüler    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Sonntag    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Strauch    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Weidmann    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Wendt     Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Wiegand    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        
Wilkens    Lt    Yildirim ordusunda 11. Avci taburunda (Yildirim is at his 11th battalion (11th Jager Bn)        

It is mentioned that the 4Co Jager Bn 11 along with units of the Pasha 2 (703rd Bn) was invloved in the figthing at Abu Tellul 14 July 1918

Some records show this unit was returned to Germany before the end of the war 

Did it go be another name I am not seeing?

S.B

Hello!

Jg.Btl.11 was not in Palestine, but Reserve-Jg.Btl.11 was!

August 14 - October 12, 1916 France

October 12, 1916 - April 29, 1918 Macedonia and Serbia

April 29, 1918 - September 1918 Palestine

until armistice: Upper Silesia

Commander was Major v. Menges

I attached a photo of members of that bataillon on the next page

You can download (free) the bataillon-history here:

http://digital.wlb-stuttgart.de/en/collections/sammlungsliste/werksansicht/?no_cache=1&tx_dlf[id]=12178&tx_dlf

Edited by The Prussian

4 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

Jg.Btl.11 was not in Palestine, but Reserve-Jg.Btl.11 was!

August 14 - October 12, 1916 France

October 12, 1916 - April 29, 1918 Macedonia and Serbia

April 29, 1918 - September 1918 Palestine

until armistice: Upper Silesia

Commander was Major v. Menges

I attached a photo of members of that bataillon on the next page

You can download (free) the bataillon-history here:

http://digital.wlb-stuttgart.de/en/collections/sammlungsliste/werksansicht/?no_cache=1&tx_dlf[id]=12178&tx_dlf

Thank you for sharing the book.

It was Reserve-Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 11 as already said by The Prussian. According to Turkish OH, the battalion arrived in Mesudiye Station in 1 June 1918, and placed under 7th Army reserve in Deir Sharaf (immediately west of Nablus). Shortly after, sent to extreme right flank (Mediterranean coast) when a general British attack was thought to be imminent. The battalion didn't participate in any serious action as far as I know.

Liman v. Sanders resigned when he heard that the battalion was called back by German GHQ in 10 June 1918 without his authorization. He attributed great importance to full-strength, energetic German units due to immense lack of manpower in Ottoman army. Eventually the battalion left, Liman remained.

Emre

Hello Emre!

Are the turkish OH the books you mentioned in the other thread?

Well, I looked inside ot the bataillon history of RIR11.

The bataillon started in Branja (Serbia) with destination Konstantinopel:

29.4. MG-comp., arrival 2.5

1.5. Staff and communication platoon, arrival 5.5.

3.5. Fourth and a half of third company, arrival 6.5.

6.5. First comp. and a half of third company, arrival 10.5.

5 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello Emre!

Are the turkish OH the books you mentioned in the other thread?

Well, I looked inside ot the bataillon history of RIR11.

The bataillon started in Branja (Serbia) with destination Konstantinopel:

29.4. MG-comp., arrival 2.5

1.5. Staff and communication platoon, arrival 5.5.

3.5. Fourth and a half of third company, arrival 6.5.

6.5. First comp. and a half of third company, arrival 10.5.

Yes, same book.

Thank you for the info.  

Mates,

Thank you for that 

Adds to the gaps I have.

Just to add 

I notice a British Intell report dated 19 July 1918, that gives these units in that Battle;

shown July 1918 Allied reports 
24th Div (2000 men 68 MG's) 

2nd Regt & 58th Regt (1500 men 44 MGs) reported 3Bn/58th Regt took part in fighting at Wadi Aujah 14-7-18 
143rd Regt (550 men 24 MGs)  
Div Cav Sqn (75 cav) 
+ 1st Attack/storm Bn (150 men 4 Mgs)

3Bn/146th German Infantry Regt (450 men 29 Mgs) 
702nd Bn +703rd Bn German (500 men 75 Cav 54 Mgs) 
4Co 11th Jaegar Bn German (40 men 5 mgs) 

3rd Turkish Cav Div (in support) 

6th Turkish Cav Regt + 8th Cav Regt (600 cav 16 Mgs) x camel Co (100 men)

The British state that the German 3Bn 146th Regt attacked with the two German Bns and the 58th Turkish Regt supported them.

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker