Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

That just about wraps it up for the Great War...

Norrette

... interesting to read in the latest Gallipolian that the criteria for eligibility to march past the cenotaph has been changed.
Now only:

Military & civilian personnel who served on military operations

OR

Wives, husbands or civil partners of those who died as a result of their service or during a time of war.

Which I think more or less limits it to the second world war or later?

Do you mean the criteria for the march past on Remembrance Sunday have been changed or the criteria for the Gallipoli Association's parade? If the former it's news to my Regimental Association as I'm toddling along as normal and never served 'on operations'

It's a general restriction. Shot at Dawn circulated this news some months ago. It could be a good opportunity to rethink how WW1 should be commemorated on November 11.

• Admin

The website of the RBL, who are one of the delegated authorities for conducting the parade lists the criteria for participation in the Remembrance Parade in 2019. The number of participants is limited to 10,000.  The stricter criteria was introduced in 2016 for security reasons. That year all participants were required to provide personal details and photo ID to access the Remembrance Parade.   This was approved by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport who, together with delegated authorities, are responsible for the Remembrance Day parade.

Last year to commemorate the end of WW1 an additional 10,000 places were allocated by ballot to families with an ‘emotional connection to the war.’  This was part of the Government’s response to commemoration of the conflict and a one off event.

For 2019 they have simply reverted back to the 2016 arrangements.  In that regard, for the Great War Centenary commemorations it is a wrap.

Ken

Thanks Ken, I didn't notice this in 2016.  The last and only time I attended was in 2014. (or was it 15)

On 22/08/2019 at 20:38, Hedley Malloch said:

... It could be a good opportunity to rethink how WW1 should be commemorated on November 11.

Indeed

Edited by Norrette