Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
aengland

Boulogne Eastern Cemetery - photo required please

aengland

A very good and elderly friend of mine needs a photograph which is located at Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. He is the world's expert on the 8th Norfolks (well no one I have ever met has as much knowledge stored in his head about this battalion!) and this is the only photograph of all the 8th Norfolk headstones (to his knowledge!) that he hasn't got!..... if there is some kind Forum Member who is visiting the cemetery then I (and he) would be very grateful of a photograph of

Private Frederick James Butler

Died 16 October 1916

Aged 27

8th Norfolks

Grave Number VIII  D  143

CWGC link - https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/48982/butler,-frederick-james/

Being particularly picky could the photograph be taken so that the sides of the headstone are parallel to the sides of the view-finder please.... i.e. not standing up taking the photograph but likely sitting or kneeling, that is how the rest of his photographs are taken and I know he would be grateful of that.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone is going that way.

A big thank you in advance.

Andrew

clive_hughes

You could try the British War Graves website, they seem to have Boulogne Eastern covered?  Can't answer for the angle the image was taken at, however.

Clive

Michelle Young

Andrew, can't promise, but I might be able to do this next month. Assume it's for Dick? 

Michelle 

aengland

Michelle.... well that would be great, thank you.  Your assumption is correct, it is for Dick, and he would be absolutely thrilled if he knew that you were taking it for him!  If you could then that would be wonderful.  Attached, a picture of the old boy at somewhere you will know very well!

Clive.... thank you for your suggestion, I'll follow that up if Michelle is unable to help out.

Thank you both....

Andrew

Dick Rayner 2014 - Cavern du Dragon.JPG

BillyH
9 hours ago, aengland said:

. . . . . could the photograph be taken so that the sides of the headstone are parallel to the sides of the view-finder please.... i.e. not standing up taking the photograph but likely sitting or kneeling

You actually have to stand up, all the headstones are laid flat due to the sandy soil !

BillyH.

aengland

Thanks Billy..... all of them? or just a selection?  Didn't realise that.  Thanks for the advice.

Andrew

Michelle Young

Photo obtained. Will be in touch.

Michelle 

chaz

For the record , the ground the cemetery is on is as been mentioned is soft and stones laid flat to stop them falling over, there are a few around the outside that are stood up. Likewise Mill road over by Thiepval also as stones laid down, this time due to underground tunnels and workings from trenches that the stones would also fall over, in fact one of the post war farmers lost horses and cart into the trenches whilst working the ground