Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Gareth Davies

War memorials Trust - Help Needed Please

Gareth Davies
The War Memorials Trust need some help. They want to know the condition of the war memorials on this map. If you are close to any of the memorials shown would you please consider popping along to check its condition and then let them know?

Heid the Ba

I should be near the Caley Hotel in Edinburgh in the next couple of days, if I remember (which is the difficult bit) I'll nip in and check.

daggers

I know of the one nearest to me. It was once in a community-based social club, but when that closed, a member removed it for safekeeping and the club later reopened on a commercial basis.

I’ll try to contact the holder and see if he is happy to disclose its location.

I’ll also contact Liverpool Town Hall about one said to be lodged there.

D

Steven Broomfield

I can mooch along to the Tebourba Way one in Southampton. Been meaning to tke a visit to Hollybrook Cemetery and it's not far apart.

Michelle Young

I'm not far from Yatton Keynell, will try to get along there soon 

Malcolm Linham

I can do Stratton on the Fosse within about 10 days, need to visit middle son who lives no that far away.

Malcolm 

Steven Broomfield
47 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Yatton Keynell, 

7 minutes ago, Malcolm Linham said:

Stratton on the Fosse 

What wonderful place names

Gareth Davies

Thank you all.  I would recommend checking the website before you make any deliberate trips as the request has been shared far and wide and there is thus a chance that someone else has already been there.  

daggers

The two I referred to in my earlier post have been dealt with and photos added.

D

Heid the Ba

The one in the Caley Hotel in Edinburgh is in excellent nick and prominently displayed just inside the hotel.  I couldn’t get a good photo due to reflections from it and the surrounding glass and mirrors but there are good photos on the website from the rededication.  The concierge was the one who found the damaged memorial and was quite happy to chat.  Is there some way to let them know or will you pass this on Gareth?

Edited by Heid the Ba

daggers

Gareth’s link on his original post will show a map with clustered markers.  If you enlarge the map the markers separate and you can click on the one you need. That gives a page for photo and report, but you may need to log in and create a password.

i found it not too hard, despite lack of tech skill.

D

voltaire60

GD- Happy to have a go at Forest Gate, East London over the summer-must get out more.  But I am a little confused (as often)- the pin on the map opens up with a small tab clearly showing a specific memorial-it does not seem to be a generic pic.  but the pic. does not come up on the main  "Read More" entry.   Any thoughts?

I have a suspicion it may be Emmanuel Church, Forest gate- now a non-mainstream church and often closed. But I worked 40 years for my Oyster Card so might as well whack it before they take it away.

Cheshire22

On my way West Kirby, Wirral to look at the memorial there

Heid the Ba
On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:35, daggers said:

That gives a page for photo and report, but you may need to log in and create a password.

I don't like joining things so I emailed them.

Cheshire22
7 hours ago, Heid the Ba said:

I don't like joining things so I emailed them.

Joined to Report my Report on the memorial at St Bridget’s West Kirby.  

Wont let me, download the photos,  so I’m going to email them, to them later on

Gardenerbill

Just photographed the one in south Manchester at the former Didsbury National and Elm Grove School now Didsbury CoE Primary School. I will post the picture on the memorials sub forum.

Skipman

Will get a friend to check the Crieff one. I'm pretty sure it's in good condition.

The Breadalbane Academy one is safe and well.

Mike

Edited by Skipman

Gardenerbill

Visited the one at St John the Evangelist Church, Holmes Chapel Road Chelford near Macclesfield today, added photographs and condition report.

Malcolm Linham

Stratton on the Fosse was checked in April this year and is well looked after.

You may also be able to assist in relation to photographs to your local war memorial. Instead of checking the map listed in the original post , I entered the name of the village that I grew up in and found a number of memorials that they did not have any photographs of. 

Also two memorials that they do not seem to have any details on, one of these has only been put up within the last couple of years.

I have supplied some photographs which I understand will be uploaded overnight and will be visiting to take some more photo's on Sunday.

Malcolm 

Gardenerbill

Gareth, what have you done! I now have another obsession, hunting down war memorials in the Manchester area to update the War Memorials Trust website, much to the bemusement of my other half. On Friday I did the Manchester Stock Exchange, whose panels are in St Anne's Church in St Anne's square so I also got to see the interior of a beautiful 18th century Church. there are plenty more within walking distance of my place of work which will give an excuse to get out for half an hour at lunch times.

Malcolm Linham

I completely agree with you Gardnerbill , I have done several in the Street area.

Also as it is heritage open weekend next week , planning  a special visit to a redundant church in Bristol to view some Gloucester memorials.

The church was burnt out about three years ago but I understand that the memorials in the crypt survived.

Malcolm 

Gareth Davies

Awesome effort, well done.