Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Convalescents

PJS

Hi Folks

Ref "intense young man"

Just wondering if I am mistaken in seeing a possible family resemblance between him and this boy.

Intense young man is NOT this lad as he was born in 1909 and is too young- but to me they are awfully alike in which case it might be a lead- consensus folks? If I get one I can give more details for the child. Intense young man also bears a strong resemblence (for me) to a female relative of the child (and myself) and I can put up some pictures to sow if anyone thinks it is a goer.

P1020968 (2).JPG

Edited by Madmeg

On 22/08/2019 at 19:53, Gardenerbill said:

I don't think so Jane, his hat badge looks fusilier and I think he has a matching collar dog.

I think you might be looking at the wrong one- he's not wearing a hat and I can;t see any collar dogs- but it does look like braid over his left shoulder.

On 21/08/2019 at 10:25, PJS said:

I've been meaning to post this photo for a while. It's one of those pictures that the more you look at it the more you see. I like the fact that the main civilian in the middle (presumably a medical professional) is smoking a crafty cig.

Mystery-Convalescents.PNG.11e99ee9eaf29c4a4ce3dd3d4dd74f89.PNG

If anyone has any idea about where it is or can contribute any information about anything or anyone in the photo please let me know. It was in my Grandfather's stash of photos but I do not think that he took it.

Peter

I'm going to hazard a guess along these lines- bloke in boater is something to do with the horse races and he has decided to give some convalescent soldiers a day out watching the gees gees go round the track. Bloke in the middle- if he was a doctor for them wouldn;t he be in uniform? so I wonder if maybe he is indulgent geegee owner who's joined in to help out (and gets pride of place) . The more I look at it the more I am convinced this is a sports ground stand- a common feature around NZ, in the rural areas small like this one (ie stand not elevated very high), you can see the shadow from the roof. It looks pretty down market- railing not ornamental , no paint on the wood. Difficult to find any good pictures to show you as photos always concentrate on the gee gees and not the place where people are watching from but I've been in enough of these venues to recognise it for one.

I've tried some simple searches in the BNA to see if I could turn anything up you know- "convalescent soldiers day at the races with lord thingy type of thing " but no luck so far. 

Dunno about a secret ciggy- most of the men are holding cigs from what I can see- don;t think any secrecy is involved  :-D 

If it was Peter's GF photo then it would have to have been taken somewhere near Aldershot in 1915 by the description of GFs service record. If taken by someone GF knew (or of a relative???) then of course it could be anywhere anyWW1hen :-(.

Certainly a good mix of uniforms going on there!

I am getting more interested in intense young man on far right- he looks VERY like some family members to me. That uniform .... is he wearing gaiters or leggings? holdings a hat? braid on shoulder???? difficult to see- he obviously wasnt part of the main group from the way he has been cut off the edge. EDIT- he's wearing shorts and long socks- Boys Brigade? I'm trying to find pictures of ww1 uniform but struggling

I suspect the key might be to try and identify boater man- he looks like someone who hung around trackside (from the dress) and there might be pictures of him if he is a "personality" ?

Edited by Madmeg

20 hours ago, Madmeg said:

- in which case if the men's regiments were identified then it might give a clue to where in the country the picture was taken ...

Some good theories from you and others, but the men are patients from several nationalities and would have been allocated to a hospital with available beds anywhere in the country, with no regard to local or unit affiliations.

Moonraker

12 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Some good theories from you and others, but the men are patients from several nationalities and would have been allocated to a hospital with available beds anywhere in the country, with no regard to local or unit affiliations.

Moonraker

However their CHILDREN would have been living with the families- so if the kids in the picture belong to the men (a guess I know) they they are probably  be somewhere near the family. The men might not have joined a local regiment originally but it is a starting point to consider- unfortunately only one of the men in the picture has a military hat on.

15 hours ago, Madmeg said:

.... I suspect the key might be to try and identify boater man- he looks like someone who hung around trackside (from the dress) and there might be pictures of him if he is a "personality" ?

A couple of days ago, I tried to crop the photo to give selective images of the two civilians and then do a Google Images search to see if there were photos of them elsewhere on the Web but ran into problems with saving the crops (probably due to my clumsy hierarchy of files and folder) and then ran out of time. Someone else might like to have a go ...

9 hours ago, Madmeg said:

However their CHILDREN would have been living with the families- so if the kids in the picture belong to the men (a guess I know) they they are probably  be somewhere near the family. The men might not have joined a local regiment originally but it is a starting point to consider- unfortunately only one of the men in the picture has a military hat on.

Increasingly as the war progressed, recruits did not join a local regiment but were posted to units, sometimes identified with a region hundreds of miles away, that needed replacements. The children could have been visiting their fathers - but then where are the mothers?

Perhaps I've been misled by the hat worn by  the soldier gripping the back of the deckchair. I'd assumed that it was a New Zealand "lemon-squeezer" hat, but Kiwis had their own convalescent homes; possibly it was any old civilian hat punched out  as part of the mugging for the camera?

Moonraker

only two kids - so maybe just the one father ? and having only one knee he has lent the child out the man a few chairs away :-D 

I've tried chucking some search terms re horse trainers into the BNA but haven;t got anywhere yet.

I think Australians were sent to Napsbury along with British- so obviously there was mixing of countries in at least some large hospitals

EDIT- BNA gives lots of results for race horse owners - but not being at thelibrary I can't get access to many pictures- I have eliminated a few from found photos- Mr Jack Barnato Joel (and his brother Woolf have a passing resemblance to the two men - but not good enough). But the Joel brothers certainly dress the part making me think its a good place to be investigating further.

Edited by Madmeg

11 hours ago, Madmeg said:

Woolf

Random fact: Father of ATA aviatrix Diana Barnato Walker, 1918-2008.