Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are these chevrons on this jacket please?

MParckar

This is my GGG Uncle, Francis Parker, born 1881, Hounslow Middx.  By the age of his children, I can date this photo to 1914/1915, so I am assuming he is serving or about to serve in the war.

I can’t tell for sure, but are there chevrons on his jacket sleeve? Maybe one or two?

I’m finding it hard to locate any record for him using FMP, Ancestry or Force war records.  I’m trying to narrow it down to rank. Any help would be appreciated please. 

33F67427-E52F-4953-87CE-61637CA9F9F7.jpeg

Rank chevron - 1 for lance corporal (technically an appointment so often records just show the rank of private), 2 for corporal, 3 for serjeant.

Craig

So it would suggest that either he's a recent recruit and was promoted early due to needs or he has been in a little while and was promoted.

Craig

13 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Rank chevron - 1 for lance corporal (technically an appointment so often records just show the rank of private), 2 for corporal, 3 for serjeant.

Craig

13 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

A Lance-Corporal in the Middlesex Regiment.  Pete.

13 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

So it would suggest that either he's a recent recruit and was promoted early due to needs or he has been in a little while and was promoted.

Craig

Thanks Guys for helping point me in the right direction.  Much appreciated.