Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

F. CHILDS seeking info please

trbl_tommy

I am searching for any information on F. CHILDS listed on our local war memorial in Tilehurst, Reading, Berkshire.

In total there are 92 names listed from WW1 of which I have information on the other 91 names.

In particular, I am seeking help on a full name, regiment and/or service and connection to our local area for this person.

Thank you,

Is the memorial for those who died or those who served ?

SDGW doesn't list any Childs from Tilehurst so I suspect he's been added by a relative or moved to the area after 1911 (as I can't see an obvious candidate on that).

Craig

I think you lack the number of posts needed  to contact another member directly-but our colleague DAVID RIDGUS should be able to help on all matters Reading and Berkshire.  Our Moderators may be able to help as David is probably off enjoying his well-deserved school holidays.

There is a Frank Child from Reading. 20045 ASgt MM,1/4 Berkshire Regiment. KiA 4 Oct 1917. Commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial. It is quite possible that there is a spelling mistake along the line.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Terry, thanks for your reply.

I am afraid the relevant plate on the memorial clearly has Childs F., 3rd column, 4th name from top as in the attached image.

thanks anyway

TWM_FChilds.jpg

26 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

There is a Frank Child from Reading. 20045 ASgt MM,1/4 Berkshire Regiment. KiA 4 Oct 1917. Commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial. It is quite possible that there is a spelling mistake along the line.

TR

I think it's him

10 November 1917 - Reading Mercury - Honours (MM)  200485 Cpl. (acting Sergt.) F. Child (Tilehurst)

17 November 1917 - Reading Mercury - ROYAL BERKSHIRE REGIMENT. KILLED. Sergt. F. Child, 200485 (Reading)

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1628650/child,-frank/

Soldiers Effects shows Aunt Mary.

Edited by IPT

Possibly he was living at 31 Newport Road, Reading on the 1911 census, a tinsmith, aged 15.  He was the grandson of the head. Two daughters were Mary Child (31) and Annie Child (27). On the 1901 was another sister, Emma. He is shown as Francis W Child on the 1901, but I can't see a birth unless he was born in Amersham.

Frank Child according to FMP transcribed record he worked for GWR as a tinsmith. Reading Signal Deparrmen. It says MM at St. Julien 16/17 Aug 1917. There are refs to GWR magazine inc.a ref to a photo in the May 1918 edition. See also Dec 1917 and Apr 1918 editions.

Record from National Railway Museum archive.

edit

Here is an image of the relevant page from May 1918. Third row down, second from the left.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/4454682518/in/photostream/

Edited by Mark1959

many thanks for all of your informative replies,

the attached image is taken from the book 'The War Service of the 1/4 Royal Berkshire Regiment (T.F.)' by C.R.M.F. Cruttwell.

the surname is stated as CHILDS in each case in Appendices A and B with same regt number 200485

MIC at TNA records surname CHILD, Frank regt number(s) 200485 and 2547

very puzzling or is it simply just a spelling error in the surname and on our memorial plate?

TWM_FChilds-1.jpg

Hi All

Just to confirm above:-

UK British Army Recipients of MM shows 1914-1920

Frank CHILD  Sgt 200485 Died 4.10.1917 1/4th Bn Royal Berkshire Regt. Soldiers' effects show legatee as Aunt Mary as Pension record above. 1911 census shows him as working at the "G.W.Ry Works" as a Tin Smith.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Here is a picture of him, from the GWR Magazine-  with very sincere thanks to the National Railway Museum and STEAM.  Hope that helps  The railwaymen database is always most useful -one of the better databases of the centennial years.

ww1 railway workers

Worker record detail

Initials / forenames Frank W
Surname Child
Military unit Royal Berkshire Regiment, 1st/4th Battalion
Military awards MM
Military rank Sergeant
Military number 200485
Ship  
Date died 04/10/1917
Image file child_f_w_gwr.jpg
Railway company Great Western Railway
Railway department Reading, Signal Department
Railway job Tinsmith's Mate
Photo Yes
Magazine reference Great Western Railway Magazine, December 1917, p241 & April 1918, p62. Photo, May 1918, p78
Memorial Tyne Cot Memorial
Notes Awarded the Military Medal at St Julien 16-17 Aug 1917. Killed in action.
Information source St Paul's Cathedral Order of Service 1919; Commonwealth War Graves Commission ; Great Western Railway Magazine (image and research contributed by STEAM: Museum of the Great Western Railway)
Date entered 15/02/2017
Last updated 15/02/2017

trbl-tommy  - do you know when the memorial was errected?  It could well be that if it was some time after the event, so to speak, that it is a genuine mistake in the transcription.  On the memorial I have been researching there have been a number of 'slips' in spellings and even initials - for example "H", instead of "W H".

You've shown his name twice in one post for RBR lists but even they are different - one lists him as Sergeant and the other as Corporal.  One has him as FW, the other as just F.

If you haven't had any difficulties in identifying your other 91 individuals you've been very lucky. I've had a nightmare with some of my 60!

11 minutes ago, phsvm said:

If you haven't had any difficulties in identifying your other 91 individuals you've been very lucky. I've had a nightmare with some of my 60!

I think we have all been there.  I can only suspect that there was a great  surplus of dyslexic or just plain drunken stonemasons and wood carvers after the war.  GWF  colleagues are decent enough to sort out most of the problems-a problem shared,etc. BUT it is unusual to get all the names done 100% for memorials.:wub:

I've got 2 on my roll of honour who, even with the help of all the wonderful brains on the GWF, have beaten me.  But I have included 3 who weren't on the roll of honour but who were from the village :-)

Many thanks to all GWF members who have replied to this topic and helped to identify Frank W Child(s)!

I appreciate all of your comments, helpful advice, information and images so kindly posted.