Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is that surname?

Jools mckenna

IMG_20190819_100439.jpg

I read it as Miss F. Topps.

Do you have anything else in this persons handwriting and can you give us some context. I know the latter will close off some peoples minds to all possibilities but for others it can provide focus.

For example if that is how she has signed the wedding register and she was single, then the first word is almost certainly "Miss", which gives a clear example of known letter formation. If its something else then the title part could be "Mrs", which by the social norms of the time means that the initial could be her husbands. (And I'm not entirely ruling out "Mess." either :)

Cheers,

Peter

24 minutes ago, PRC said:

Do you have anything else in this persons handwriting and can you give us some context. I know the latter will close off some peoples minds to all possibilities but for others it can provide focus.

For example if that is how she has signed the wedding register and she was single, then the first word is almost certainly "Miss", which gives a clear example of known letter formation. If its something else then the title part could be "Mrs", which by the social norms of the time means that the initial could be her husbands. (And I'm not entirely ruling out "Mess." either :)

Cheers,

Peter

It's the receiver's name and address. The senders first name is Archie, I was wondering if the sender is related to the receiver(i.e brother). Definitely 'Miss'.

Scan0338.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

It's Miss F. (Florrie) Topps to me.  I can't seem to find her at Southchurch in the 1911 census.  

I did look for a Florrie or Florence Toffs, but none found in England & Wales in 1911.

Edited by Jim Clay

Could be Catherine Florence Topps 1895-1960. Remembered Holy Trinity, Southchurch. Moved about quite a bit. Never married. No obvious sign of Archie.

7 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Could be Catherine Florence Topps 1895-1960. Remembered Holy Trinity, Southchurch. Moved about quite a bit. Never married. No obvious sign of Archie.

The only likely match on the 1911 Census of England & Wales is a 16 year old unmarried Milliner Catherine Florence Topps, born Holloway, London. She was recorded then living at 5 Fryston Place, Bradford, Yorkshire. Head of the household is her 47 year old father, Francis Compton Topps, a Clock Repairer, born Tetbury, Gloucester.

Looking for the death in England & Wales of a Francis C Topps born c1864 brings up only one match - a 68 year old man whose death was registered in the Rochford District of Essex in the January to March quarter, (Q1), of 1932.

The 1932 Probate Calendar records that a Francis Compton Topps, of 29 Chinchilla Road, Southend on Sea, Essex, died on the 30th December 1931 at Southend Municipal Hospital, Rochford, Essex. Administration of his estate was granted at the London Court on the 22nd June 1932 to Catherine Florence Topps, spinster - see Exhibit A attached.

That completes the case for the defence :)

Peter

Francis Compton Topps Probate Calendar 1932 sourced Government Probate Office.png

2 minutes ago, PRC said:

see Exhibit A attached

Good find, Peter.

Archie could have been a brother or a potential husband ? If the latter, then killed, perhaps why she never married...

4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Archie could have been a brother

On that 1911 Census return Francis Compton Topps and his wife Elizabeth state they have had 5 children of which 4 were then still alive. All 4 - girls - were then still  living with them. The other three are younger than Catherine, so even if they had married when they reached 16, unlikely they could have had a child who would be writing such a postcard in 1917. So more likely either a male relative or a potential suitor for either Catherine or one of her sisters.

Cheers,

Peter