Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Pre- war side arm's. UNIT MARKED

Steve1871

There has been some interesting examples shown here, which I have greatly enjoyed looking at - thanks one and all! If I recall correctly, the first individual pionier units were formed in 1889. Before then eaach regiment had its own pioniers. I wonder if all these regimentally-marked ones are pre-1889? I have to admit that I have never studied the history of these formations and so am happy to be corrrected!!!

Julian

Thanks AndyBsk, 

Yes, the Saw backs we’re simply tools to cut brush, branches an on, for cover, artillery and other unit’s, the Sawback Side  arms were issued to units as early as 1840’s, maybe earlier, not sure

On sawback Bayonets that I know, Germany started with Dreyse M65PFM, 

Belgium used a pioneer bayonet using the same blade, with I think 3 less teeth on their M68 Terssen rifle, Bavaria, pioneer M69 Werner bayonet, and England and New Zealand both had saw back versions of bayonet for Martini Henry rifle/ carbines. They are fascinating, but I would have to win a lottery to buy them all

NorthStaffsPOW

your all steel 3rd one has me stumped, Great to have Regimental markings, and Wurttenberg, being small is an extra treat, thank you, I have no idea how to research it Great Trio, thanks again

Steve

On 08/11/2019 at 12:34, AndyBsk said:

nice picture it should be mentioned the period is mostly 1916 or later, the handguards are messing probably.

The last one pictured Faschinenmesser of Wuerttemberg in thread 21, was probably equiped with steel handle in very late period, there is many similar pieces reported from WW1 and Wurttemberg units.Faschinenmesser with sawback and heavy blade were used primary as tool for arranging the area and coverage of artillery arms and by Pioneers.

2 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

NorthStaffsPOW

your all steel 3rd one has me stumped, Great to have Regimental markings, and Wurttenberg, being small is an extra treat, thank you, I have no idea how to research it Great Trio, thanks again

Steve

A book I don't have but might have the answer - 

Faschinenmesser: Preußen, Sachsen, Bayern, Württemberg, Kindle or hard Edition

by Wolfgang Peter-Michel (Author)