Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WhichUnit or Mauser

derekb

Hi Everyone,

I would welcome your observations regarding the attached photograph/postcard, any clues to the German state, also which Mauser are they armed with?

Regards, Derek.2030370095_GermanSoldiersinPickelhaubesFeldzug1914Campaign1914-Copy.jpg.7e5f282068c5d60047739c0eb93307d0.jpgegards,

Derek.
828272085_GermanSoldiersinPickelhaubesFeldzug1914Campaign1914B.jpg.bf5ec3af2540f1a4c3c87413ee826162.jpg

Hello Derek!

The rifle is a G88

Schnierlach (today french Lapoutroie), is a village west of Colmar near the Col de Bonhomme. In october 1914 there was the 2nd bavarian Landwehr-Brigade with 3rd and 12th bavarian Landwehr-Regiment. To one of those units the boys should have been belonged to.

And the bayonet is of course the S.71! I guess the sender is the husband of Mary Scheller?

The trigger guard/magazine has an opening in the bottom like a Gewehr 1888.  The bayonets are mounted on the side, also like the gewehr 1888.  The slings are attached differently than other Gewehr 1888 rifles I have seen, but I have not seen very many.  You can compare them with the photos posted on this forum here:  

Hi Richard2,

The Prussian's reply is, I think, correct.  The answer to your point is that, quoting from German Military Rifles 88 and 91 Firearms by Dieter Storz, "when carried with the sling pulled taut, the clip was attached to the quick-release mount and the eyelet to the rod under the forestock" 

Regards,

Michael.

• 3 weeks later...

Would also like to point out that the Gew 88 was not a Mauser at all. Designed by a commission, Mauser had no hand in the rifle at all..hence the designation Model 1888 Commission Rifle.