Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On this day, 1915

seaJane

August 17th. Left Anzac at 2 p.m. today, and are now in Mudros Bay, where we learn that we discharge all patients into ambulance carrier and return at once to beach. I expect as usual there will be a day or two wasted. The organisation is rotten; if it is the same in all branches, Heaven help England. I trust we are not at this same game long, because it means no rest at all; everybody is already a little used up in my theatre. I did myself more operations than all rest put together; my staff very pleased.

Edmonds joined us today stiff with gold braid, having been made a Surgeon General.

Didn't write yesterday, no time, but I saw nothing of fighting, just the hideous din; bullets whizzed about as usual.

We have 390 patients on board, but have actually treated 1,800 this trip, passing all possible on to fleet sweepers.

(Surgeon Reginald Eccles Smith, 1887-1963, aboard HMHS REWA.)

• 3 weeks later...

In case the rest of the forum is wondering, Ian made contact via message, and I will send him the details on my return from Scotland!

• 1 month later...

sorry it took a while, photos had to be found, sent and scanned. I'll get these fixed but for now one of reg and a colleague on the rewa (grandad on the left)

Ian 683655  (2).jpg

That's wonderful - thanks!