The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roberts brothers - Devonshire Regiment

syd

John 'Jack' Roberts of Cruwys Morchard, Devon died from wounds in May 1915 while serving in the 2nd Devons (regimental no 11889). His two brothers - Sidney and Samuel - also went to war and survived. I have been unable to discover the regiments they served in. However, it has now emerged that a Sidney Roberts served as a lance-corporal in the 10th Devons. His regimental no was 11888. Would it be right to think that this Sidney would have been Jack's brother - that they enlisted together?

A 8/9/1917 Hospital Admission for S Roberts 11888, 10th Devons attd 2nd Entrenching Bn, says he was 35, 3 yrs Svc, 2yrs at the Front ,admitted bronchitis (here on FMP)

Would a birth date c 1882 fit ?

Confusing, but there's another 1917 Admission for E Roberts, 11888, 10th Devons, aged 25, 13/2/17,  Malaria Rec, 2 1/2 yrs Svc, 18 mths at front. Obviously same man but goes to show problems of Admissions Register errors.

Edited by charlie962

Thank you. Sidney was born late 1891. The hospital admission details are good examples of the difficulties in establishing the facts. I m hoping this Sidney Roberts is Jack's brother. I have been trying to discover where he served for about 10 years. Paul

You've probably already seen it but there's a good obit of their father Samuel in 1933. 'one of a family of seventeen, brought up on 13s a week in the good old times'.

Samuel, born 1899 and who died 1938, is merely noted as having served in the Great War.

For Sidney, b 1891, I haven't seen anything I'm afraid

Charlie

Thank you, yes I have seen Samuel Snr's obituary. Sidney doesn't seem to get a mention anywhere. The only listing I have seen for him is on a tablet at Cruwys Morchard Church naming men from the parish who served in the Great War. Paul