Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

corisande

Lincolnshire Regiment medal for gallantry in Ireland

corisande

Does anyone know of a list of the men who got the Lincolnshire Medal for Gallantry in Ireland

According to London Medals - click - there were apparently only 12 awarded, of which 2 were to officers

Could an award like this be worn with normal medals?

Would thy have been awarded for actions during the Easter Rising or only later

linc-medal.jpg.015c3d57e2775e3b228c6a494628b052.jpg

CorporalPunishment

Being an unofficial medal it would not have been authorised for wear in uniform. What I would call a mufti medal.   Pete.

corisande

Thanks, I have not come across such a "regimental" medal before, and it is very difficult to research

Coldstreamer

He didn't serve WW1 so probably better in a skindles really 

corisande

I am trying to get a list of those awarded the medal, not information on a particular soldier.

The photo of the medal is to show what it looked like, not to research that soldier - I never referred to a particular soldier!

Medaler
14 hours ago, corisande said:

I am trying to get a list of those awarded the medal, not information on a particular soldier.

The photo of the medal is to show what it looked like, not to research that soldier - I never referred to a particular soldier!

The link states awarded for events in 1920-1, so not Easter Rising. 1st Bn Lincolns were otherwise engaged 14-18, so they would not have given them out in 1916 anyway. I think that is the basis of Coldsteamer's suggestion that it should be shifted into skindles.

A very interesting medal though, and I have never seen one before. Puts me in mind of the sporting medals awarded amongst the Sherwood Foresters, though fairly obviously awarded for different reasons. The only line of enquiry I can think of would be the regimental museum. If they had a regimental journal I would think that they might easily have a mention in it, perhaps with a list of recipients.

Regards,

Mike