Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The French Army Thread

Tomb1302

• 2 months later...

My apologies  if this has already been posted here but I found this website very informative.  Its a high resolution map of the Western Front for every day of the war. 

The position and movement of French units is down to at least the Divisional level, and sometimes even lower. It's in French but most of the information is visual anyway.

One you select the day you want and bring up that particular map you can scroll using arrow keys and zoom in using CTRL + and -

This is not my website so all of the credit for what must have been an enormous amount of work goes to its creators.

Here's the link

http://www.carto1418.fr/19140801.php

Cheers

JH

Edited by JHillier

6 hours ago, JHillier said:

My apologies  if this has already been posted

If it has I haven't noticed it so this is really welcome, thanks JH. I'm going to avoid having a mosey around as I am sure I'll find it fascinating and it's way past my bedtime......

Pete.

• 1 month later...

I hope it’s not a bad time to ask for help. Can anyone share RGB or hex codes for French Adrians in the war? I’ve seen there are many variants, from  Light blue, to a denim color, to grey blue, to darker blue with a slight purple hue, to dark navy blue. 

Ordering  the right color is essential as it’s expensive when you get it wrong.  Any help is most appreciated. 

• 2 months later...

I realise this thread has been dormant for a while but I thought I would post to welcome Aymeric (@Lacombe ) whose great great grandfather was the remarkable Audemard d'Alançon de Fazende, who together with Generals Nivelle and Mangin planned and carried out the offensives that recovered the forts at Verdun and then the offensives either side of Rheims in April 1917 that bear Nivelle's name. I am fascinated by the period and also have several questions about current thinking about the mutinies that followed. I was wondering if anyone had any new perspectives. I was hoping that our français amis might be able to point to anything published in France or which appears on the pages 14-18 forum for instance. We are also lucky to have Christina (@Christina Holstein) who may wish to contribute. Hope to hear you all.

Pete.

P.S. Maybe someone may know the right colour for JWM72's Adrian helmet too......

On 09/10/2021 at 15:59, JHillier said:

My apologies  if this has already been posted ...  

What an extraordinary site. I wish I'd seen it years ago!

Thanks for posting the link.

Christina

2 hours ago, Christina Holstein said:

What an extraordinary site. I wish I'd seen it years ago!

Thanks for posting the link.

Christina

I've not been in for a while, mainly because I start exploring and find that hours have passed. I may have to develop something which I believe is called self discipline to stop this happening......

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

self discipline

Surely getting satisfaction from denying yourself pleasure is masochism, not self discipline, and thus to be avoided? N'est-ce pas?

Edited by charlie962

• 8 months later...

A little bump to this thread with some research I'd found about a certain Paul Diéras in my family, who fought in the 8eme Batterie of the 3eme Regiment d'Artillerie a Pied (R.A.P) at "Fort de Douzies" in Maubeuge, captured September 7th, 1914. He was a "Marechal des Logis", and his name makes an appearance in a local paper on the 3rd of November the same year.  He would be taken to a POW camp in Germany (lots more reading and understanding to do) throughout the war, and actually wrote letters home the four years before he'd return home to my hometown of St. Malo. 

Thanks to the great folks at the 14-18 forum for the research done a while ago -- if anyone has a touch more to add or share, that'd be fantastic. I'd love a picture of him, and any more information about the RAP and their involvement the first few months.

Thanks all.

Thomas

L'Ouest-Éclair___journal_quotidien_d'informations_[...]_bpt6k644163s_2.jpg

C_G1_E_13_01_0654_1159_0.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 10.00.46 AM.png

Here's a link to his matricule militaire.
http://archives-en-ligne.ille-et-vilaine.fr/thot_internet/ark:/49933/thtr2280jxvt/690868/36
It might be worth contacting a moderator to start a new thread, specifically about 

The first question that springs to mind is how it is that this man is a sergeant of artillery at the outbreak of WW1, rather than an entry level rank. That may well be answered by his service record.

1 hour ago, Tomb1302 said:

Thanks to the great folks at the 14-18 forum for the research done a while ago -- if anyone has a touch more to add or share, that'd be fantastic. I'd love a picture of him, and any more information about the RAP and their involvement the first few months.

Thanks all.

Thomas

I didn't realise you had some further information, and that he was in the 8e batterie of this regiment.
https://forum.pages14-18.com/viewtopic.php?t=70639

14 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Here's a link to his matricule militaire.
http://archives-en-ligne.ille-et-vilaine.fr/thot_internet/ark:/49933/thtr2280jxvt/690868/36
It might be worth contacting a moderator to start a new thread, specifically about 

The first question that springs to mind is how it is that this man is a sergeant of artillery at the outbreak of WW1, rather than an entry level rank. That may well be answered by his service record.

Keith, thanks for the insight. I did, in fact, gain great insight into everything I shared through that 14-18 thread. That is a good question I hadn't considered, the idea of being directly issued command as a sergeant. I wonder if military documents or family history would be more revealing.

I do have the Journal de Marches et Opérations for 1914 to read through, and the history of the 3rd regiment. I'll update with what I find. Maybe a genealogical site would help too?