Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cartridge Case - help with identification

BullerTurner

Reference the attached...this case was acquired by a friend at auction in a job lot of German brass.  This one appears to be German (see the manufacturer’s impress).

what is puzzling me is the primer and the dimensions.  It is 75 x 383R.  Which is a bit longer than standard QF ordnance?

any help or insights that might lead me along, welcome!

1AC13E78-7290-46EC-9ED4-226425F2A935.jpeg

It may be a WWII case. The dimensions are very close to the Russian 76x385 case for the 1936 model F-22 field gun. This gun was captured in huge numbers by the German forces in 1941-2 and adopted as an anti-tank gun, initially using original ammunition, but many were rechambered to take the longer 75mm ammunition of the PAK40. I am no expert on Russian head stamps, but both the case and primer seem to have some Russian markings.

2 hours ago, 14276265 said:

It may be a WWII case. The dimensions are very close to the Russian 76x385 case for the 1936 model F-22 field gun. This gun was captured in huge numbers by the German forces in 1941-2 and adopted as an anti-tank gun, initially using original ammunition, but many were rechambered to take the longer 75mm ammunition of the PAK40. I am no expert on Russian head stamps, but both the case and primer seem to have some Russian markings.

And this is why I love this

community.  I thought it was possibly a tank or AT equipment.  I have also been informed there are some Cyrillic characters inside the cart'...well, well...