Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
simond9x

Riding in the Zone Rouge: The Tour of the Battlefields 1919 by Tom Isitt

simond9x

I've just read an article about this book in the August edition of 'Bulletin'. It sounds like an interesting read and gets good reviews on Amazon. I just wondered if anyone here has read it and, if so, could  comment on the number of photographs included in the book. There are several accompanying the article but it's unclear (to me) if they are actually taken from the book. If it's reasonably well illustrated, I'll be buying it. Thanks

simond9x

OK, 53 views, 0 replies, so I thought "sod it, I'll buy it" and I have absolutely no regrets. I haven't actually finished it yet but it is just so 'readable' and enjoyable that I thought I'd put a post up. There may be historical inaccuracies, I don't know, but it's a real page turner. Roughly split into 'an account of the race itself through war-torn landscapes' (45%); an account of the author following their route (45%); and imagined conversations between 1919 cyclists (10%), As a WW1 enthusiast, I actually enjoyed more, the trials and tribulations of the author as he tries (his best) to follow their route. I'm really enjoying this book!

Edited by simond9x

simond9x

Highly recommended, best book I’ve read since ‘Deborah’.

Marilyne

Simon,

if I'd seen your first post earlier, I might have answered… that I have no idea…

my first idea was that is was about a horse-tour... LOL "riding"... like the seminal "riding the retreat"...

but based on your raving review, I just downloaded the preview on my kindl for later purchase… or not!

Thanks for your inputs!

M.