Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signage from Kings Regiment (Liverpool)

I wasn’t sure which part of the forum to post this on so I’ve chosen this one as I’m trying to find out more about the divisions mentioned on this sign. I don’t really understand the structure of the army but have managed to work out (I think!) that this refers to the 23rd (Works) Battalion of the King’s Regiment (Liverpool) which I believe was based in Prescot during the war.  Please correct me if I’m wrong!

What I would like to know, if anyone can help, is what does “E Company” refer to, where were they based, where did they serve and ultimately where would this sign most likely have been used?

The sign is about 10” long and made of a pretty rough piece of pine, complete with knot holes where the paint has come away and still has the original nails. 

Any help or feedback would be much appreciated. 

DF5CCB19-666A-488D-B8BA-B656468B1890.jpeg

369CB878-D8AA-41FB-8AC1-1DD798F9AF6D.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Hello Flipper

Just happened to be passing...for a start, have a look at the Long, Long Trail (link at the top of the page), which has this about 23rd Battalion of the King's (Liverpool Regiment).  Bn on the sign means Battalion. I'm sure more knowledgeable members will be along soon.

23rd and 24th (Works) Battalions
Formed in May and June 1916. 23rd was established and remained at Prescot until eventually converted into 1st Labour Battalion of the Labour Corps on 28 April 1917; history of 24th obscure except that it had moved to Hereford by March 1917.

Liz

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne

Hi Liz, thanks for your feedback. I did have a look at the Long Long Trail website, that’s where I got the info I have so far. I meant to put 23rd battalion rather than company, so thanks for pointing that out, I’ve corrected it now!