Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
M_O'Neill

Pte. Thomas John Bell (31237) and his brother James

M_O'Neill

Hey all,

I'm looking to see if anyone can help me find out more information about two relatives of mine from Cookstown, Northern Ireland; a Thomas John Bell (31237) of the 2nd Bde. Royal Inniskillings Fusiliers, and his brother James (number and regiment unknown).

I don't know how much more there is to find out about Thomas ('Tommy') John Bell, as he's already been fairly well researched by the Friends of the Somme Mid Ulster Branch. I'd be interested if there was any information regarding exactly when and where he was wounded. Other than the injury happening in September, I haven't found anything about the specifics. I know he was taken to the hospital at Veurne, where he died of his wounds on the 28th September 1917. 

His elder brother James is the bigger mystery to me. He's mentioned in the above article as having been wounded once on the Western Front but recovered and returned to action. He apparently survived the war and returned to Cookstown. I don't know what regiment he served in. I suppose the Inniskilling Fusiliers are an obvious choice, being the 'local' regiment, but I can't be sure.

Any help gratefully appreciated!

museumtom

Would Tommy have any connection to Fintona, County Cavan?

M_O'Neill

Hi Tom!

No, I don't believe so. Tommy and his brother were both born in Mullawotragh, Ardboe in county Tyrone. They were the sons of a James Bell and a Mary Teaney. The family are in Mullowotragh for the 1901 census, then at some point prior to 1911 they move to Cookstown.

Lawryleslie

Ancestry.com has records of several James Bells form County Tyrone and specifically Cookstown and serving in the IF. One record has a James Bell having emigrated to Philadelphia Passedna at 61 years of age also coming from Cookstown. Without regimental number it’s a bit of a needle in a haystack that will require more research on genealogy websites.

This image is from Ancestry.com and is the US Army WW2 registration card which was required to be completed by all males below 65 years of age. I doubt he was ever called up for WW2. Him having emigrated could explain your research difficulty if this is him.

DB084496-3F4C-45A9-BFBB-1467AB221F93.jpeg

Edited by Lawryleslie

museumtom

Ah ok so.

museumtom

The reason I ask is this.

image.png.dc0060fac31357fa81c9426a40055e31.pngimage.png.d4952e41a349a8d6484724dfbbaa154e.png