Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German trench maps around Shrewsbury Forest?

Jaeger6

Has anybody an idea where to find German trench maps of the area around Hooge - Shrewsbury Forest - Hill 60 dated preferably Spring/Summer 1917? I'm also looking for German trench maps around Vendhuile, south of Cambrai of Summer 1917.

Any hint is appreciated.

Good evening Jaeger6.

I have a 20,000 of 14th July 1917 which shows your 3 areas in Flanders. Some quck photos below, if this is what you are after then I can take more. I also have a later sheet of this area from October 1917 if that would be of interest. I can't help with Cambrai, sorry.

Best wishes,

John

IMG_4956.JPG

IMG_4957.JPG

IMG_4958.JPG

IMG_4959.JPG

IMG_4960.JPG

IMG_4961.JPG

Is it to see where Jäger-Regiment 6 was situated at that point?

Jan

Thank you, John. The maps are marvellous, all of them are helpful. The fourth map shows exactly the operational sector of Jäger-Regiment 6 from 8th June to 23rd July 1917.

German regimental histories usually only give the German names for positions and locations, so it is difficult to trace anything on British maps.

@AOK4Their camps were Herzog-Albrecht-Lager and Klein-Württemberg-Lager at Kruseik (Geluvelt) - called Deimlingseck in German - exactly where nowadays is the roundabout. The units were usually positioned between the front and second line (Albrecht-Stellung), which is not depicted here. My great-greatuncle's unit, 2nd company, mostly covered the northwestern corner of Bulgarenwald. It's even seen on the map: the position 737 north of Groenenburg.

Some action took place just north of it at Königin-Charlotte-Weg, Herzog-Albrecht-Weg ("Herzog" is still readable on the map) and Preußen-Riegel (here only "Preußen").

I followed the regiment only until my relative's death at Vendhuile three weeks after Jäger-Regiment 6 moved into the Siegfriedstellung, but as far as I know Jäger 6 was brought back to Flanders for the time between 5th - 24th October 1917 to take part in the Battle of Poelkapelle and the First Battle of Passchendaele. I have tried to trace the ways of relatives of mine in the Great War for only a short time, so I'm afraid I don't have a complete overview of the relevant regiments yet. But I'm interested in both sides, so if anyone knows which British regeiments fought there at that time, please give me a hint. Unfortunately the units were relieved on 30 July and I only have the names of the British regiments who fought in this sector in August 1917.

Best wishes,

Markus

The Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 sent me a picture of this German map, but I have no idea when the map was printed.

1991563073_III.2.t.010DeutscheStellungskarteGeluveld-Passendale.jpg.23edfe44757949ebc0b287ee3f85060b.jpg

On 14/08/2019 at 11:07, Jaeger6 said:

Has anybody an idea where to find German trench maps of the area around Hooge - Shrewsbury Forest - Hill 60 dated preferably Spring/Summer 1917? I'm also looking for German trench maps around Vendhuile, south of Cambrai of Summer 1917.

Any hint is appreciated.

This may help, basemap November 1916, overprint 10th March1917.

Stellungskarte No.IX vom 12.IV.17 Wytschaetebogen 10/04/1917 Geheim

Full map here

Howard

Hooge.jpg

This might help although it does not show Cambrai. It is a partial sheet but headed Cambrai North.

1:25,000 Cambrai (Nord)  18/07/1917  Part sheet only. Karte über Feuertätigkeit der feindl. Artillerie in der Zeit vom 4/7 bis 18/7/1917

Full map here

Howard

5 hours ago, Howard said:

This may help, basemap November 1916, overprint 10th March1917.

Stellungskarte No.IX vom 12.IV.17 Wytschaetebogen 10/04/1917 Geheim

Thank you very much, Howard. This map does really help a lot!

Markus

• 1 month later...

The Cambrai map is fascinating Howard - I see it says IWM/WFA on the corner, so could you tell me where it comes from please?

Thanks John

6 hours ago, johntaylor said:

The Cambrai map is fascinating Howard - I see it says IWM/WFA on the corner, so could you tell me where it comes from please?

Thanks John

The WFA Mapping the Front DVDs.

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Howard - those DVDs look very good. I already have LinesMan but may have to splash out.

John