Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help researching AB A W Wall died 1927

Sgt Stripes

Hello. I have the service record of AB 6916 Arthur William Wall born Hull 1893. There are a few questions that if anyone could help me resolve would be most welcome. The first is he served on HMS FOX January 1914 till February 1916, was he entitled to a NGS Medal Bar Persian Gulf. The second is under periods of engagements is written MCS 1st April 1919, does anyone know what this stands for and three his sad death is noted as died double pneumonia buried Trincomalee however I can not find a grave or memorial for him. His last ship was HMS EMERALD and he was serving onboard her when she was involved in Nanjing incident March 1927. Many Thanks

Edited by Sgt Stripes

N.B. surname WALL not HALL. He was awarded the Naval General Service Medal 1915-62 with Clasp "Persian Gulf 1909-1914". The qualifying periods for FOX were 3 September. 1913 to 1 August 1914. He was issued with a duplicate medal on 5 November 1924. MCS (not MSC) indicates that on the date given he was transferred to the post-war Mine Clearance Service. His death is, of course, outside the CWGC dates.

Many Thanks for the information name and MSC edited . First time I have come across MCS. Cheers  

4 hours ago, Sgt Stripes said:

his sad death is noted as died double pneumonia buried Trincomalee however I can not find a grave or memorial for him

If he died while serving then it is likely the Royal Navy will have asked the CWGC to maintain his grave, it's just not included in the published details shown on the website. If he has a standard CWGC Portland Stone headstone the top is differently shaped - example:

1118240561_21901269d2_m.jpgWng Cmdr R D Yule 1953 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

The CWGC has this in the FAQ part of their website.

We maintain the graves of some military personnel who died in non-world war conflicts on behalf of other governments and agencies. We may hold very limited information about their grave. Please contact: enquiries@cwgc.org.

Hope that helps,

Peter