Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE brass disc.

Bazzman

Eyup, 

Newboy here. I have a 1916 Lee Enfield 303 with a brass disc on the stock with the word ‘DOURO’ stamped on it. Does anyone out there know what this means? Any help would be appreciated.

regards

Barry.

F13CA5A7-EF66-44A1-9082-71B4190AA433.jpeg

8F554FCD-14E1-4AAA-BCA8-238FB7DD98BF.jpeg

68522465-3AD0-44DD-BDB0-464635A52945.jpeg

Edited by Bazzman
Wrong spelling

Bazzman,

Welcome to the forum.

To me, DOURO sounds like it may be a Portuguese word.

I know that two divisions of infantry from Portugal fought alongside the BEF, and I suspect that they were armed with the SMLE.

Regards,

JMB

[edit: Yes, the Douro river and valley of Portugal.]

Edited by JMB1943
Add info]

Thanks for that JMB, I have had the SMLE for about 20 years now and didn’t that. A Canadian forum suggested it may be a Portuguese word but no other info. When I bought it from the shop it was the only Enfield (not BSA) and it had not been covered in that black varnish used to store them damp store rooms so the Portugal connection would make sense.

I am now looking for somewhere here or in Florida that I can fire an active one just to feel the legendary 303 kick.

thanks again

Barry.

You have to use Mk.VII cordite rounds and rod the barrel through with Rangoon oil first if you also want to smell the legendary 303 smell... :D

Hello Mike, 

Unfortunately my gun is low level deactivated so I am making enquiries in Florida as we are going next year to see if a there is a range with a SMLE I can fire. I have not found one yet but will keep looking.

thanks for the response

Barry

6 hours ago, Bazzman said:

Thanks for that JMB, I have had the SMLE for about 20 years now and didn’t that. A Canadian forum suggested it may be a Portuguese word but no other info. When I bought it from the shop it was the only Enfield (not BSA) and it had not been covered in that black varnish used to store them damp store rooms so the Portugal connection would make sense.

I am now looking for somewhere here or in Florida that I can fire an active one just to feel the legendary 303 kick.

thanks again

Barry.

I think you’ll be disappointed if you’re expecting a “legendary kick”. It’s exactly that, a legend, and held firmly as it should be, recoil is minimal. I’ve shot a variety of loads up to and including maximum suggested safe load and in all cases recoil is unremarkable. No doubt the “legend” developed as soldiers told their tales and as is often the case, exaggerated somewhat. It is though an excellent rifle to shoot and is my favourite rifle to choose when going to the range. Next is my Enfield No. 4 with heavy target barrel, again excellent rifle.

Doug.

2 hours ago, Doug504 said:

I think you’ll be disappointed if you’re expecting a “legendary kick”. It’s exactly that, a legend,...

Doug.

OK, so Doug'd more-or-less right, though I think it's a bit more positive than minimal - but remember John Wayne's comment in 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' - something like "when the legend becomes fact, print the legend." ;)

thanks again

Barry.

Ok, dream shattered, not really I am a complete novice so any kick will be legendary to me. My Grandad served as a private with in the East Yorkshires in the trenches all over the western front. He was reluctant to talk about it so I just want to experience a small fraction of what  he did and what my rifle would be like if it was active. 

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by Bazzman

Not intending to shatter your dream Barry!

As I’ve said the SMLE is a great rifle to shoot and a great experience, do try to hunt down a range where you can try shooting it, it will be well worth it. The fun of owning one is the history that goes with it and the challenge of shooting with the “iron sights”.  The anticipation of a “kick” can seriously effect the accuracy of the shooter and many unfamiliar with the rifle can be unnecessarily worried as a consequence of hearing similar stories about the recoil. Just keep it pulled into the shoulder and you’ll have no problems. It’s when people are a bit timid and hold the rifle away from the shoulder that it can result in bruises!

Doug

When I first shot a No.4, I rolled my beret up and used it as a shoulder pad. IIRC I put it back on me 'ead after about 5 rounds and never bothered again.

Edited by MikB

I fired a Mk 4 on the ranges when I was aged 13 or 14 in the Queen's School (Rheindahlen) CCF.  Never gave me any bother.

Edwin

Thanks for the advice fella’s, I just need to find a range now and try it for myself. I think I am going to struggle to find a Mk 3 but any LE 303 will be better than nowt.

I don't know where you are posting from, but the NRA have "Open Days" at Bisley in Surrey from.time to time.

i am fairly sure that they allow people without firearms certificates to shoot under supervision.

i can't remember when the next one is, but give them a ring. They are very helpful.

Their number is 01483 797777.