Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Image of 15 Hants 2Lt Percy Aylward; Wilton Town Clerk?

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Great War Forum aficionados and just plain members,

An out-of-print Goodie from my bookshelves is gladly offered for a photo (aka Image) of:-

PERCY DANFORD AYLWARD, born Lockerley, Hants., in 1885 (son of G. L. Aylward). Solicitor.

Ed. Handel College (defunct?), and Hartley University College, Southampton. War Service: 2Lt,. 15th Hants. Regt. (to France 6 September 1918; wounded). 

1919: P. D. Aylward became Town Clerk of Wilton. He was also Steward of Wilton Charities...

British War Medal (2.LIEUT. P. D. AYLWARD.); Victory Medal (dto.). 1935: Jubilee Medal GVR (Town Clerk, Wilton Borough). 1937: Coronation Medal GVIR (Town Clerk, etc.).

1938: mentioned ('Recreation - Tennis') in "Who's Who in Wiltshire". 

Died 25 June 1970.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear sadbrewer,

Do you have an Image of him by any chance?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Sorry Kim...no, but in looking I did notice his medals had recently been for sale by auction...it might be worth contacting the auction house to put you in touch with previous owner to try and trace them back...you never know where it might go.

There is a member on Ancestry carrying the Aylward name, with Percy in their tree, but unfortunately haven't been on the site for many months.

Dear sadbrewer,

Many thanks for that information.

I was not trying to be coy, but rather tried to do a play on words, vis-a-vis your original reply. 

Yes, I have indeed secured the 2.Lieut P. D. Aylward group of four medals, originally mounted as worn, but have not as yet had them delivered. His Medal Index Card would be interesting to see...!

(One should really acquire and research one medal group at a time, but oftentimes it is like waiting for a Bus; nothing comes for twenty minutes, then four arrive simultaneously!)

Aylward (pronunciation?) is certainly an unusual name.

244996154_Lieut.P.D.AylwardObv.jpg.4603f19753259bdcc72221cbd3b34485.jpg659702775_Lieut.P.D.AylwardRev.jpg.c28bb5d4c8b2a4328f56351cc847f920.jpg1230178929_WhosWhoinWiltshire1934.jpeg.a00da1fe988bd37ee83d937d02796df9.jpeg1542303710_WhosWhoinWiltshire.Aylwardlisting.jpeg.6074e5a65a1c560bf0ead4b1a023bf71.jpeg839623552_BWMLieut.P.D.Aylward.jpg.232b6f308f6c531d37cdd89e373ea2f9.jpg595465186_VictoryMedalLieut.P.D.Aylward..jpg.f6783cb9356526e7cf071407528abf4d.jpgHe (1885-1970) seems to have been unmarried - no doubt putting his all into Wilton and Things Wiltshire...

The Goodie for an Image of Percy Danford Aylward is "Assam Planter" by a stalwart of Percy's generation!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• Admin

Sadly looks as though Handel College is no more so the chances of an archive remaining elsewhere may be slim... http://sotonopedia.wikidot.com/page-browse:handel-college

Might be an idea to ask the University https://www.southampton.ac.uk/about/reputation/history.page

Nothing in the National Portrait Gallery

I have discovered he trained as a Solicitor and was in the Midland Bank Chambers in Salisbury in 1938. Sadly it seems that building may now be flats. Might be worth checking with the Law Society though to see if a photo exists.

Good luck!

• Admin

Just discovered that perhaps a son may also have been a Solicitor. The address appears to be a Sheltered Housing Complex.

EDIT: Anthony Henry Case Aylward is the son of Henry J  and Alice B Aylward NOT Percy Danford.Not certain if they are related, but too much of a coincidence perhaps?

image.png

• Admin

Percy's Inns of Court documents (what is left of them) are on FMP here

In 1908 he was renting two rooms in Wilton from a Mrs Corby (1912 image FMP). Still there in 1914 and 1915.

image.png

Both FMP and ancestry hav a few scraps of service papers relating to him joining Inns of Court OTC as 11248.Private. 14/5/17. Joined Salisbury or possibly London - contradictory notes. 5 ft 5 3/4 in. tall. Weighed 126lbs. Some notes about his heart.

Served at Berkhamsted from 14/5/17 to 4/10/17.

MIC shows to France 6/9/18. Photo eludes me as well

Edited by Mark1959

Dear Mark,

Thanks for that (too).

One is somehow surprised at Percy Aylward's diminutive size. Yet another Mosaic Stone added to the puzzle...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Probably about average for the time. And I think you may be calling me small - but I tower over Percy by a mighty half an inch

7 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Closest I can find so far is his brother Edward Burcher Aylward, will keep looking.

I don't think he was his brother. Fathers are different. 

Trivia: PDA's elder sister Emily born 1878 did not die until 1986 aged 107!

Edited by Mark1959

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

I don't think he was his brother. Fathers are different. 

Trivia: PDA's elder sister Emily born 1878 did not die until 1986 aged 107!

My mistake I thought I was an Edward B on the census with Percy D, father a wine merchant...

Dear David and Mark,

Thanks for clearing that one up.

The surname Aylward is surely quite rare (although I thought that was the case with my S.Lt/Lt A. Pepperell - whose name turned out to be quite common in the area where he lived!).

And, yes, Percy Aylward was probably of average size for those days. 

Perhaps Wilton has a historical Group?

Kindest regards,

Kim.aylward.jpg.2bd7378f311a1b739b47f3e0940ea940.jpg.d368482fecae4f7ff2724750f579f43e.jpg

22 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Great War Forum aficionados and just plain members,

An out-of-print Goodie from my bookshelves is gladly offered for a photo (aka Image) of:-

PERCY DANFORD AYLWARD, born Lockerley, Hants., in 1885 (son of G. L. Aylward). Solicitor.

I've found a Percy Danford Aylward born in the Dec quarter of 1885 in Romsey.

The 1891 census is showing Percy D living in East Dean ( 2 miles from Lockerley) with a father's name of GL Aylward but occupation farmer and miller.

Wife's name Elizabeth.

I know the occupation is different but I can't find any other Percy D Aylward in the right area...what do you think?

Screenshot_20190814-200932.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

Dear Sadbrewer,

That would be correct. Thanks. I knew that Percy's Dad was 'G. L. Aylward', but not that he was a 'farmer and miller' in 1891.

I assume the six year-old Percy's name and details have been cut off under 'Arthur L.'?

Note the daughter (Emily Aylward), who was Percy's elder sister, born 1878 and did not die until 1986 aged 107, as Mark has so ably reported!

In 1919, P. D. Aylward became the Town Clerk of Wilton, Salisbury - and resided at 28 West Street, Wilton. This marries up with the furnished Rooms at West Street he had been renting from Mrs Corby since 1908 or thereabouts…!

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

34 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Sadbrewer,

That would be correct. Thanks. I knew that Percy's Dad was 'G. L. Aylward', but not that he was a 'farmer and miller' in 1891.

I assume the six year-old Percy's name and details have been cut off under 'Arthur L.'?

Note the daughter (Emily Aylward), who was Percy's elder sister, born 1878 and did not die until 1986 aged 107, as Mark has so ably reported!

In 1919, P. D. Aylward became the Town Clerk of Wilton, Salisbury - and resided at 28 West Street, Wilton. This marries up with the furnished Rooms at West Street he had been renting from Mrs Corby since 1908 or thereabouts…!

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

Apologies...Percy was cropped off...not sure how that happened. 

Dear Sadbrewer,

Never mind. I am greatly appreciative of your unselfish efforts on my behalf!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All,

It is tantalizing that the IWM Portrait of RA officer Edward Burcher Aylward, does not apparently tie up with Percy's older sibling Edward B. Aylward, 22, and a Medical Student in 1901.

I have pestered the Town Clerk of Wilton Town Council, but sadly they have no Image, despite Percy Danford Aylward (1885-1970) having been Town Clerk of Wilton from 1919 to at least 1937. However, Wilton Council was reorganised in 1974 and I have been told that the old records went to Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham.

I will try them, of course...

I have also ordered copies of 2Lt P. D. Aylward's Officers' Papers - and my TNA Researcher advised me to try the Lawn Tennis Association for an Image. It will be remembered that in "Who's Who in Wiltshire" (1934), noted that the Recreation of this Bachelor was Tennis (!).

He was indeed a Solicitor and was noted in their War Services book ('w'), however, I have not yet tried (or found) the Law Society - to ask about an Image...

He was educated at Handel School (defunct) and Hartley University College. The University Archives confirm that he was a Student there in 1903/4 and 1904/5. The subjects on offer were: English, Mathematics, Latin, Greek, Electricity and Magnetism (!), Logic, French, History, Physics, Practical Physics, Chemistry, Practical Chemistry, Botany, Mechanics, Education and Art, German, G.E.S. (?), Music.

P. Aylward is shown from 1 Oct to 19 Dec 1903 as having been an Absentee for Course Matriculation, English 1, Mathematics 2, Latin 2, French 4; 30 Jan to 27 Feb 1904 Absentee Course Matriculation (& lower); to 26 Mar 1904 Absentee Course Matriculation; Month ending Apr 1904 Absentee Matriculation; Month ending 28 May Absentee Matriculation; Month ending 2 July 1904 Absentee Mathematics 2; 1904-05 Absentee Matriculation; 30 Oct to 20 Nov 1904, Absentee; 25 Feb 1905 - Matriculation; 24 Jun 1905 - Matriculation. (If that makes any sense?)

Kindest regards,

Kim.

23 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

It is tantalizing that the IWM Portrait of RA officer Edward Burcher Aylward, does not apparently tie up with Percy's older sibling Edward B. Aylward, 22, and a Medical Student in 1901.

I believe that the brother is Edward Bailey Aylward, who died in 1912, and was the son of George Longland Aylward.

Other brothers were George Thomas Aylward (1882-1966), Arthur Longland Aylward (1883-1969).

Edited by IPT

Dear IPT,

Thanks for clearing that up: most appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

Just as an Up-Date concerning my attempts to secure an Image of the elusive Percy D. Aylward (1885-1970):-

I can report that I tried the Wilton Town Council - they have Nothing, but Aylward's quasi-successor directed me to the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre. The same story: Nothing.

I have beamed a message to the Law Society. Similarly the Lawn Tennis Asociation. 

In an attempt to get a Family Connection (always the best), I wrote to the Salisbury address of the late Solicitor Anthony Case Aylward (which David found).

What I have not tried (perhaps someone has c945198122_InnsofCourtAylwardentries.jpg.83298c7194563b8e2eb13cf79e2057ce.jpgonnections?), is the Hampshire Regimental Association...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

Could someone possibly effect a Connection with the relatives of Percy Danford Aylward's brothers:-

George Thomas Aylward (1882-1966)

Arthur Longland Aylward (1883-1969).

It is probable that the Brothers had Images of their Bachelor brother, Percy...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

10 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

Could someone possibly effect a Connection with the relatives of Percy Danford Aylward's brothers:-

George Thomas Aylward (1882-1966)

Arthur Longland Aylward (1883-1969).

It is probable that the Brothers had Images of their Bachelor brother, Percy...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

PM sent.