Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

76 Coy RASC / 23rd VRP at Abbeville

I have just found this forum and am amazed at the information it contains.

I am interested in any information concerning the above units as my grandfather was a lorry driver from 1914 to 1919. I enclose a picture that shows where he was during this period. thanks.

23157813_10214818355520254_714261005_o (1).jpg

Welcome to the forum Novis, 76th Coy ASC came up in a search only last night whilst I was looking for something possibly connected to another bit of research. 76th Coy formed in 1903 and went out to the Western Front as part of the 3rd Cavalry Division where they were employed as the Division Ammunition Park (MT) war diary in WO95/1151. The company were later employed as the 7th GHQ Reserve MT Company war diary a n WO95/135, both these diaries are available to download from the National Archives.

J

You probably know that a VRP was a Vehicle Reception Park, where motor vehicles- cars, lorries, motor bikes and probably tractors were collected together at the end of the war where their disposal/salvage/scrappage/sale was planned. I think no.23 is possibly the last one, but there may have been one or two more. Only a handful have a surviving war diary in their own right.

That's a lovely scroll of honour by the way.

Thank you for this information, which I only discovered today. The scroll was made by one of my grandfather's brothers to decorate the rather plain letter from Tunbridge Wells Borough Council.I know that he signed on in December 1914 and regretted the fact that he had not enlisted in time to get the Mons Star. He was sent to Grove Park and then within a few days to France. I shall certainly check the National Archives for further information. Thank you for your kind contributions. I enclose 2 photos of my grandfather in his RASC uniform.

Cologne 1919 - Copy.jpg

Pop  c. 1915 a.jpg

• 2 years later...

My great grandfather William John Simmons from Draycott, Rodney Stoke, Somerset was also in the 23 MT VRP from January to February of 1920. I wonder if your grandfather and him knew each other. That's so cool. Thanks for sharing the photos and scroll. I'll upload his record. He was also in the 335 Coy (I downloaded the war diary for this one) and 256 Coy. Not sure what the other entries are on his record.

Military Record - William J Simmons - pg6.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Ljack1981 said:

My great grandfather William John Simmons from Draycott, Rodney Stoke, Somerset was also in the 23 MT VRP from January to February of 1920.

Welcome Ljack, just a quick note about dates in soldiers' records...

The date an event occurred, is in the right hand column entitled 'Date of Casualty'.
The date in the left hand column entitled 'Date', is the date the entry was written up.

So... your grandfather transferred to 23 VRP on November 1st 1919, and rhe adjutant wrote up the details on January 5th 1920.

etc.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

9 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Welcome Ljack, just a quick note about dates in soldiers' records...

The date an event occurred, is in the right hand column entitled 'Date of Casualty'.
The date in the left hand column entitled 'Date', is the date the entry was written up.

So... your grandfather transferred to 23 VRP on November 1st 1919, and rhe adjutant wrote up the details on January 5th 1920.

etc.

Thanks Dai Bach! I appreciate the explanation. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to understanding the military records. That's very helpful!!!