Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Army 233e regiment d'infanterie

Mapleneck

Hello everyone,

My neighbour is researching his grandfather's service in the French Army during WW1 and I wondered if anyone out there might be able to offer some guidance on where to search for information.

The soldier's name was Robert Alfred Gaspard THONE, born Paris, 2 July 1897. He served with the 233e RI, was wounded and captured by the Germans, spending the last few months of the war as a POW. There is a thought that he may have served with a machine gun company but there is no provenance to support this. He married Elsie May French (yes, French!) on 22nd May 1924 in London. Post-war he served the French Embassy in London from 1922 to 1961.He passed away on 26 August 1961. His medal collection includes the following:

Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur -  believed awarded for long service to the French Embassy in London.

Médaille militaire - 2 of these

Croix de Guerre 1914–1918 - with 3 Bronze Stars & 1 Bronze Palm.

Médaille commémorative de la guerre 1914–1918 

Médaille Interalliée de la Victoire 1914–1918

Croix du combattant

Médaille des blessés de guerre

Médaille d’honneur des affaires étrangères - Silver & Gold

Any leads on where to search would be most welcome. Many thanks in anticipation.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I don't know how good your French is but the regimental history is here:

https://argonnaute.parisnanterre.fr/ark:/14707/a011403267962pC59U1/3b9fedf43f

and the war diary (JMO) for most of 1918 is here (the rest of the regimental war diaries can be accessed from the index):

https://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/fr/arkotheque/inventaires/ead_ir_consult.php?a=4&ref=SHDGR__GR_26_N_II

and Red Cross POW records can be searched here.

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/ 

I had a guick look at the history which purportedly lists all who served and I couldn't find a Thone listed (it's an unusual name ?). Similarly I couldn't find a POW record in the Red Cross archive but that is less surprising as names were often transcribed and/or subsequently indexed incorrectly.

Hope this helps,

Steve

4 hours ago, SteveMarsdin said:

Hi Roger,

I don't know how good your French is but the regimental history is here:

https://argonnaute.parisnanterre.fr/ark:/14707/a011403267962pC59U1/3b9fedf43f

and the war diary (JMO) for most of 1918 is here (the rest of the regimental war diaries can be accessed from the index):

https://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/fr/arkotheque/inventaires/ead_ir_consult.php?a=4&ref=SHDGR__GR_26_N_II

and Red Cross POW records can be searched here.

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/ 

I had a guick look at the history which purportedly lists all who served and I couldn't find a Thone listed (it's an unusual name ?). Similarly I couldn't find a POW record in the Red Cross archive but that is less surprising as names were often transcribed and/or subsequently indexed incorrectly.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your reply. In fact I found the regimental history earlier today. The list of names at the back is a roll of those who died. I can read French, although rather slowly, so will be able to translate it.

The war diary I hadn’t yet found, nor the Red Cross records and so thanks for the links. I’ll check them out. I’m not sure if the surname is particularly unusual. My neighbour has original German hospital records for his man for June to October 1918 that might offer further clues. There is also a photo that shows 2.5 years worth of service stripes on his uniform. I’ll try to loan it for scanning and uploading here.

All the best

Roger

Hi Roger,

"The list of names at the back is a roll of those who died" Quite correct, sorry for the confusion, I hurried through the "memoiresdeshommes" site on my lunch-break !

In the JMO, for the latter months of the war they list killed, wounded, POW etc by name, which is unusual (and a bonus !) but in the earlier months of 1918 they seem to list by total numbers only. Hopefully you'll be lucky in your search.

Steve

Hi Roger,

The regiment suffered a torrid time at the end of May, beginning of June 1918, with hundreds listed as "disparu". Fortunately they are all listed by name (!), including Robert Thone who is listed as wounded on 2 June. Presumably he was subsequently taken prisoner and transferred to a German hospital the same month.

Thone.JPG.3cbd6d883ca66092f8d2fcb5bbf307ba.JPG

(courtesy of "MemoiresdesHommes")

Fascinating Adrian, I wonder if he was a chauffeur at the embassy in Dublin pre-war (and London post-war ?

Although it references his 2 June wound It seems to indicate he went back in the line and wasn't taken into captivity until July (contradicting with the "German records".

Steve

The JMO confirms the information in his service record in Adrian's link above.. He is listed as "disparu" on 20 July so the Geman records can't be from June (July ?)

Capture.JPG.0dc1cc95152ee57526c9a3d75b01e7ef.JPG

Steve

Many thanks everyone. Great stuff. Yes, I now understand the POW records are from July to October. I've scanned and added one of the pages here. If anyone can provide a translation of the German headings that would be most appreciated. I now also have a photo of Robert, also posted here for interest.

Thank you again.

Regards

Roger469766579_TonePOWRecord.thumb.jpg.a9a9f8c829ef382fd53c736d8863b057.jpg

Thone Image.jpg

Meant too add photos of Robert's medal group. One of these images I've posted here before (the one with the Royal Victorian Medal), but thought there might be interest in seeing the rest.

Best regards

Roger

AR Thone Medal Group 1.jpg

AR Thone Medal Group 2.jpg

AR Thone Medal 3.jpg