Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women collaborators

Jojessholli

Sorry if this topic has been posted before - at the end of WW2 women in France who had fraternised with the enemy had their heads shaved and were marched through the streets where people spat at them etc - I've not heard about women collaborators of WW1 - I've often read about French and Belgian women prostituting/sleeping with the enemy, but not heard if they were punished afterwards and if the consequences were the same as they were in WW2- was the case similar or not?

Edited by Jojessholli
additional words

This subject is extremely sensitive. A lot of things happened after WW2 to alleged collaborators or sympathisers. A lot of it was related to WW2 being as it was (the political system and harsh occupation and prosecution of certain parts of the people and alleged resistance people).

German occupation in WW1 was still severe but not as bad as WW2. Hence, repression and prosecution of alleged collaborators was a lot less after WW1. Some people were convicted after trials, but the lynching by the mob of alleged "public women" and collaborators seems to have been rather limited although I have heard that there have been some cases indeed.

Jan

This may be of interest.

A little time after the end of WW1,1920 to be exact, here is a clip (on or around the 5 minute mark) of Irish women being punished for fraternising with the Black and Tans in 1920.