Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Thomas Anderson

graniteknighte

1 hour ago, Doug504 said:

36 Outram Street, Houghton Le Spring, still in existence approx 10 minutes drive from my home.

John Thomas Anderson is shown on the 1911 census as residing at 36 Outram Street Sunderland East

36 Outram Street, Houghton Le Spring, is South West of Sunderland ?

36 Outram Street Sunderland East not shown on modern maps maybe now demolished ?

Ray 

Edit Maybe the O.P  can confirm the location

Edited by RaySearching
adding info

Update

Just had to check it out

36 Outram Street was in the East End of Sunderland near Lucknow Street and Northumberland Place 

Now demolished 

Ray

Hi all, Apologies for not checking in before now. But I appreciate all the help and chatter that this has induced. Hello to my fellow Mackem Doug504. Cheers to you mate. 36 Outram Street has been demolished/destroyed. I will poke around on Facebook groups that I belong to related to Sunderland to see if he's commemorated anywhere.

Thanks for everything all.

Update: He is likely memorialised on the Holy Trinity (Sunderland Old Parish Church) roll of honour. When I visited Sunderland in 2015 I remember taking a picture of it, I just have to dig for it.

Edit to the Edit: The internet is amazing, one of my contacts in the Sunderland Antiquarian world found a photo of the side chapel memorial board where J.T. is memorialised.

68482514_518239028918762_4387265765233917952_n.jpg

Edited by graniteknighte

I do have a question all for the folks of this board... would JT Anderson have been due any medals? if so, what could have happened to them?

Ancestry has this...

Name: John Thomas Anderson
Military Year: 1914-1920
Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps: Leicestershire Regiment
Regimental Number: 39806
Previous Units: 39806 6/Leic. R. Pte.

George

On 13/08/2019 at 21:37, clk said:

Hi Ray,

The records I saw were for:

39801 Askey

image.png.b00ac268ed6743090836de1e3a144762.png

39809 Boland

image.png.93a5b53ca5240368689b9ba51080b1dd.png

39888 Gregory

image.png.a2de136e8424ef5122c5c767b4d88074.png

All images sourced from Findmypast

I'm scratching my head a bit. I don't know much about TRBs, but the papers for Askey and French seem to indicate that the were with 11/TRB prior to joining the Leicesters. The LLT (link) suggests that they were formerly the 9 (Reserve) Bn, Lincolnshire Regiment.

Regards

Chris

The war gratuity for Anderson indicates he enlisted somewhere in the month from 23 Feb 17 so it fits with this being his original enlistment.

Craig

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but his progress through various battalions & badges before transfer to 6th Leicesters could be explained by the various Training units based at Brocton in 3rd Training Reserve Brigade.

in a previous post the service of Gregory 39888 is shown as 11th TR Bn at Brocton, then 3rd Leicesters, presumably having finished training and in the 3rds ready to go to France once 19 years of age.

The TR battalion with both Leics & Lancs connections is the 15th TR Bn, which after being changed in May 1917 the 267th Graduated TRB , in October 1917 became the 52nd Graduated Battalion Leicestershire Regiment. As with Gregory,  John Anderson would have finished training and after his 19th birthday on 1st September 1917 awaited posting overseas.

As the 11th TRB do not seems to have survived after May 1917, he could then have transfered to the 15th TR Bn to finish training. 

Alternativly he could have been in the 15th TRB from the start & this could explain his Lancs Fusiliers cap badge.  Other ranks in the TRB should have worn the TRB cap badge, but easy to see that some retained the origin units badge.

The 14th TRB eventually in Oct 1917 became 52nd Graduated Bn of the Sherwood Forresters.

After the May 1917 changes to the TR Bn's it is unlikley he would have served in the 12th or 13th Young Soldier BN's as they were for men under 18 yrs 6 months.

2127105180_ScreenShot2019-08-19at14_01_24.png.59ee1dd006fdfd9a713acde31cae165e.png

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/training-reserve/

I do have one more question about where John Thomas  Anderson is memorialised. He appears on the Gray School in Sunderland's War Memorial.

Does anyone have a copy of this memorial or live close enough to take a photograph of it?