Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shrewsbury Forest June-July 1917 - which unit?

Jaeger6

My great-greatuncle Ernst Komander was stationed in Flanders in June and July 1917 with the Jäger-Bataillon 6, 195. Infanterie-Division.

Fortunately there is a regiment history for his Jäger-Regiment 6, but I can't find references to the troops on the other side. The position of his unit duing this time is given as Bulgarenwald (still today called Bulgar Wood). So his action must have taken place around Hill 62 / Shrewsbury Forest. Does anyone have information on British or Commonwealth units in this area after the Battle of Messines Ridge?

On 31 July, the first day of Third Ypres, the area around Shrewsbury Forest was attacked by the Allied 24th Division, consisting of 17, 72 and 73 Brigades.

I found that piece of information too. But when I looked into the regimental histories it became clear that they were fresh units which were brought for the attack to this section of the Ypres Salient. They were deployed just a few days before, exactly on the date when the Germans also exchanged their regiments and my great-greatuncle's unit was despatched to Vendhuile. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a hint to which regiments they relieved.