Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A A KHAN EAST AFRICAN RAILWAYS

Sgt Stripes

Hi. I have a Victory medal named to 79 DLY or it could be CLY A A KHAN, E A RLYS . Are there any MIC or medals rolls that might held to research this man. I have had a look on Ancestry but found nothing. Many Thanks 

A check of the Discovery Catalogue at the National Archive for "Corps = East African Railways" brings up 18 matches. These are mainly a mixture of Officers and Warrant Officers. Typical MiC for a Warrant Officer (W C Weyman Jones) show I.O. (India Office?) Medal Roll references. (Sourced Ancestry).

It's also worth taking a look at the preview available for the card for Guard 16342 C S Morris, East African Railways - I couldn't find the equivalent on Ancestry. Refers to his claim being dealt with by the Government of India and is in a different format.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7562212

The only civilian I could spot was a C F Edney. Other than an address in Lucknow and a note "Appln for Afr G.S.M c/o UD" there is nothing else on the card - although it can be seen on Ancestry.

Is it likely that the relevant paperwork, particularly for Non-Europeans, will be held at the British Library rather than the National Archive?

Peter

W C Weyman Jones East Africa Railways MiC sourced Ancestry.jpg

Many Thanks for the replies. A very interesting research project. 

The British Library has the following India Office Records catalogue entry

Collection 425/1596 Medal rolls for 1914-1915 Star. IOR/L/MIL/7/18841    1919-1920

http://searcharchives.bl.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?dscnt=1&dstmp=1565733452494&vid=IAMS_VU2&fromLogin=true.    BL Search

As far as I am aware, this is the only WW1 medal roll available for Indian Army recipients.

Cheers

Maureen

Hi. Many thanks for your help. I have looked again at the naming and its is definitely DLY or CLY. I have found a commonwealth war graves in memory of Artisan A A KHAN died 11 June 1919 remembered Basra memorial but I obviously can not say that this is the same man.     

1 hour ago, Sgt Stripes said:

Hi. Many thanks for your help. I have looked again at the naming and its is definitely DLY or CLY. I have found a commonwealth war graves in memory of Artisan A A KHAN died 11 June 1919 remembered Basra memorial but I obviously can not say that this is the same man.     

Then I would go with CLY. I have a victory with this abbreviation to the Inland Water Transport which I believe stands for COOLY.

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Then I would go with CLY. I have a victory with this abbreviation to the Inland Water Transport which I believe stands for COOLY.

I would concur.  I've just been reading through the War Diary of the Adjutant General's Office (Base) in East Africa for June 1916 and can confirm that there are several entries contained within that show the rank of COOLY was being used by the Railway Corps in that country.

Steve