Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rouen Map

ss002d6252

Does anyone had a WW1 map of Rouen that shows where the ASC petrol depot was ? I'm trying to tie down its location.

Craig

Craig

In WO 95/4045 - Lines of Communication, Rouen Base - I found this map of the Ordnance Depot. The map is upside down i.e. the Quai (now Rue) Jean De Bethencourt is on the south side of the Seine and there is now a railway complex there, which you can see on google maps. I can not recall seeing any more maps in the box but the record has now been digitised. I was trying to locate No 4 General Base Depot RE but Terry informed me that it was in the north of Rouen. 

Hope this helps,

Brian

001.JPG

Thanks - it's so frustrating that in the space of just 100 years so much has been lost to history.

Craig

Having trawled through the IG diaries it appears that Rouen depot was the LILLE BONNIERES ET COLOMBES works. It was situated in the harbour area to the south of the Graville garage. A step closer to the location..

It appears the French were not overly happy about having a large petrol dump in the middle of the harbour area.

Craig