Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Clary, Morning of 27th August 1914

GJW

I am looking for as much detail on the above as possible. I believe I lost a family that morning and just trying to join the dots. He served with 2nd Batt. Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Any help would be very much appreciated.

16 hours ago, GJW said:

I am looking for as much detail on the above as possible. I believe I lost a family that morning and just trying to join the dots. He served with 2nd Batt. Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Any help would be very much appreciated.

It would probably be helpful if you could post as much information as you can about your relative. During the retreat after Le Cateau the battalion split into several groups, the largest of which, around 450 men under the second in command, Major H.M. Shewan, D.S.O., tried to fight their way through Clary, but only around 30 managed to escape. 

Dave

Hi Dave,

William Whelan. RDF 2nd Battalion - 10149. KIA on 27th of August 1914. Remembered at LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE MEMORIAL along with those other RDF lads who died either on 27th or 28th August. I am just back from a visit to Clary and Ligny area. I followed the RDF 2014 Tour document. 

17 hours ago, helpjpl said:

Here, to get you started, are the men of the 2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers who died on 27 August 1914 (2 pages):

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?regiment=Royal%2bDublin%2bFusiliers&war=1&unit=2nd%2bBn.&exactDate=27-08-1914&casualtypagenumber=1

JP

Thank you JP. Most helpful

Hello,

The dead were afterwards buried in Clary on the communal cemetery in a mass grave.

Jan

clary.jpg

Thank you Jan. I really appreciate the input.

Gerard