Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help interpret CWGC reports

Skipman

These are the CWGW entry, and Grave Concentration Exhumation and Re-Burial Reports for Private 1971 John Kennedy, Fife & Forfar Yeomanry, killed in action on the 31st October, 1915. Am I correct that it says:

He was orginially buried in Azmac Dere Cemetery Plot 1. Row E. Grave 10.14. (then renumbered grave No C26.)? and his grave marked with a cross. On the 20th of July, 1920, his body was exhumed and re-buried in Green Hill Cemetery, Suvla, Plot I., Row E., Grave 26. Is there anything else am missing?

Why different number C.26, and 10.14?

Also is the "2nd Lovat Scout ref just an error, there's mo mention of it on medal roll. Edit The 1/2nd Lovat Scouts were at Azmac Dere on 31/10/1915

Where exactly was Azmac Dere Cemetery, and is there any trace now of it today.

Cheers Mike

Forum question John Kennedy 2.JPG

Forum question John Kennedy.JPG

Edited by Skipman

Thanks John. Will drop him a line later. I have seen references to Azmac Cemy but assumed it was a different one.

Thanks as ever.

Mike

I think Amzac Dere Cemetery is a different one to Amzak Cemetery, why would they remove graves to Green Hill Cemetery?

J

21 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

I think Amzac Dere Cemetery is a different one to Amzak Cemetery, why would they remove graves to Green Hill Cemetery?

J

That's what I was wondering. Will send a pm shortly and see if Hedley has any thoughts.

Cheers Mike

Hedley has kindly been in touch and will have a further look when he gets time. He agrees it's odd that he should be moved from Azmac to Green Hill. He adds that CWGC website says that "a number of small sequentially numbered burial plots called 'Azmak' (N°1, 2, 3 and 4) were concentrated into what is now Azmak CWGC. "

It makes sense to concentrate the 4 smaller ones into Azmac, but why then move him again 2 miles south to Green Hill Cemetery?

Mike

temp Azmac Cemy.PNG