Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of 2nd Royal Irish Regiment

Perth Digger

I'd be very grateful if anyone who has a copy of Gen. Stannus Geoghan's history of 2nd RIR can tell me what he has to say about the action at Le Pilly, 19-20 October 1914, when the battalion was destroyed. What reasons does he give for this event?

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger

Click on the link to Vol II at the top of the page to download:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/digital-book-collection/digital-books-by-subject/history-of-ireland/geoghan-campaigns-history/

Le Pilly starts on page 25:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/aai-files/assets/ebooks/ebooks-2011/history-and-campaigns-of-the-royal-irish-regiment/GEOGHEGAN_CAMPAIGNS-HISTORY-OF-THE-ROYAL-IRISH-REGIMENT-VOLII_1900-1922.pdf

JP

Thank you, JP, for taking the trouble to make copies for me. For some reason I could not get into the website.

Mike

You maybe aware of John Lucy a private in 2/RIR whose war memoirs - there’s a devil in the drum - cover the same period from the ranks. A great read. 

Jervis

Thanks for reminding me. For some reason my memory was that Lucy was in the Leinsters.

Mike

I think there is a typo in this thread's title; 2nd Royal Irish Rifles instead of the correct 2nd Royal Irish Regiment. Just to prevent any confusion, Lucy was a member of the Royal Irish Rifles, not present at Le Pilly.

Dave

Hi Dave

Yes, I made the silly typo, which I just noticed having taken up Lucy's book.

Now to work out how to edit a thread title!

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger

No problem Mike. I think there are a number of threads on the destruction of the 2nd Royal Irish. If I remember correctly, one thread lists all those members of the battalion who were killed or died of wounds at  Le Pilly, I'll see if I can find it if you're interested. I might have some other information as well. There were a number of instances where battalions "didn't get the word" during the fighting in 1914.

Dave

That's very true, Dave. In this case, however, no orders from Brigade to retire were given as far as I can see. Daniell, the acting CO of 2/RIR, asked both 4/Royal Fusiliers and 4th Middlesex for help on the flanks during the night of 19-20 October, but neither could assist. 

I've seen the other threads, thanks.

Mike

5 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

Now to work out how to edit a thread title!

If you sign in and open the thread you should be able to change the title.

Click on edit in #1, make your changes in the Title box and click on Save.

JP

• 4 years later...

How many Casualties did Company A take during that time?

If you read the article you will see that there were survivors who got back, but I have no idea from which company.

Ok, thanks. This may slightly complicate the story I am writing.