Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Harry Tate's Navy" & Death of Harry Tate

BeppoSapone

Here is a topic related to the navy. I hope that readers will excuse the fact that I know next to nothing about the navy and excuse any mistakes - end of the "Cop Out Clause".

During WW2, and WW1 as well, the "Royal Naval Patrol Service", which has been described as "a rough and ready fleet of hastily-armed trawlers and drifters" was nicknamed "Harry Tate's Navy".

I believe the name arose in much the same way as "Fred Karno's Army". I am told that "Harry Tate was a Music Hall comedian who always had trouble with mechanical things. It is said that the expression of Harry Tates navy originated

during the first world War and was a throw away remark made by an officer, I

think in France or Belgium when asked what the small minesweepers were."

Tate is said to have died in 1940 as a result of injuries sustained during an air raid. Brief details here:

http://pages.britishlibrary.net/mikepymm/new_page_19.htm

I have had a look at the CWGC Register and can not find him under his stage name of Harry Tate or his real name of Ronald Hutchison.

Does anyone know if he is listed, or know anything more of the story?

• 1 year later...
Harry Tate is said to have died in 1940 as a result of injuries sustained during an air raid. Brief details here:

http://pages.britishlibrary.net/mikepymm/new_page_19.htm

I have had a look at the CWGC Register and can not find him under his stage name of Harry Tate or his real name of Ronald Hutchison.

Does anyone know if he is listed, or know anything more of the story?

I am now able to answer my own question regarding the death of Harry Tate.

According to David Goldie, who did Tate's entry in the Dictionary of National Biography, Harry Tate did not really die as a result of being injured in the bombing of London:

"Harry Tate died on 14 February 1940 at Sutton, Surrey, having suffered a series of illnesses including partial blindness and a heart attack. His claim to journalists that these were consequences of his having been injured during one of the first air raids of the Second World War has been taken literally by many commentators. Others have seen it as the irrepressible and enduring last laugh of a humorous and highly talented wag."

I also noted, in the same entry, that the WW1 song 'Good-bye-ee' originated in one of Harry Tates' catch-phrases. It's late, but I don't think I knew that before. :blink:

"The regular calls of 'Good-bye-ee' as the car made to set off and then didn't move, became a much-used catch-phrase and would be made the basis of a popular song of the First World War."

Missed this thread 1st time round ,but must add to it. All information so far correct except for the mystery of his death. Harry Tate was an incredibly popular music hall and theatre comedian as stated, particularly around the Great War though he carried on well into the 1930,s. He worked with a small troupe later including his son, most famous for their motor car sketch although they had a range of others particularly a golfing one. In 1911 he was also King Rat of the Water Rats the premier showbiz charity.

At the end of the 30,s he retired to a suburban semi in NORTHOLT Middlesex West London as it now is. How do i know....because in 1957 my parents bought the house, by then from other owners, I lived there until 1973 and my parents til 1980. The neighbours were originals the estate was built in the mid 30,s and told us about Harry who liked to potter ( Harry...Potter pun get it???) around the garden tending his roses. I too have seen the claims on various sites that he died as a result of an air raid but never remembered the neighbours claiming that.

Sadly and as usually happens Harry now lies buried in an untended and delapidated grave in ST MARYS churchyard NORTHOLT, so i suspect he may in fact have died in the house there rather than Surrey??. The grave is marked as that of Ronald Hutchinson with HARRY TATE in smaller letters underneath. The grave is in disrepair with a prickly hawthorn tree growing up through it. Intend to take some loppers and cut it down next time I go down. Sad that such a famous performer and character of the great War era now lies in such obscurity. Have been thinking of writing to the Water rats to see if they might fund some repairs and even a plaque.

His family i recall emigrated to Canada in the 50,s. As a scout in the 60,s we did receive arequest to keep the grave tidy, but as I said now neglected. Will publish a pic if I can find it SG

As a lad

Found it! Harry Tates grave is the one in the middle with large and extremely spikey hawthorn sapling growing uo through the middle of it. it would be great to see it renovated and perhaps a bronze or metal plaque giving a little of his history. Not laeast that his name was so well known an aeroplane was called after him, RE8 and his name was used in the small ships navies of both wars. SG

post-4532-1159793607.jpg