Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Dolcoath miners

Guben Prisoner of War camp

Dolcoath miners

Was wondering if anyone had any information on Guben POW camp in WW1? We're researching the story of Fred Negus, Cornish miner who served in the 25th Field Ambulance. Fred was captured on 27 May 1918 along with more than 100 others in his unit at Guyencourt. The 100+ were scattered in POW camps - from Langensalza to Giessen to Sprottau. Only Fred seems to have been in in Guben. We can't work out why he was taken so far - and to a camp that seems to have been mainly for Russian POWs. If anyone has any more information on Guben it would be so useful. Thank you!

seaJane

I know nothing, but there are a few mentions of Guben on the forum; these can be found by using the Search option.

charlie962

Out of curiosity I tapped in Guben for Prisoners of War on FindmyPast and got 46 hits. May give clues by looking at some of these others ?

For example the lists PA26283-5  are stamped 27/5/18 (coincidence) but mainly includes men captured Spring Offensive. Perhaps they needed a medical man ?

Example PA26283 courtesy ICRC

849738033_GWFGubenICRCPA26283.JPG.e00e008a738f4528448b7becb795173e.JPG

charlie962

PA 40449 has another man taken 27/5/18. I can see several others from Northumberlands or Borderers. on other lists.

Dolcoath miners

Thank you! That's really helpful - I haven't used findmypast as yet but will try now.