Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge help, please

Connecticut

The family pictured is likely Scottish.  I have no other information.  I would greatly appreciate help with the badge and anything else.  Any guesses as to the age of the soldier might be helpful.  Could be as old as 35, perhaps.

IMG_7473.jpg

IMG_7474.jpg

Edited by Connecticut

Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) I believe.  There was a brother regiment in Canada that wore similar dress and insignia.  There was also an auxiliary (Territorial Force - equivalent to US National Guard) battalion of the Highland Light Infantry that for historical reasons wore a similar badge to the Black Watch.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Cheers, Frogsmile.    Given it came down through my family, which was located in the Glasgow area, it is more likely to be the HLI.  Add to that the solider appears on the older side, which would fit a reserve or Territorial unit.

Edited by Connecticut

Don't know if you noticed but the little girl second from left with his hand on her shoulder appears to have a sweetheart version of the badge attached to her sash. Nice touch. 

3 hours ago, Connecticut said:

Cheers, Frogsmile.    Given it came down through my family, which was located in the Glasgow area, it is more likely to be the HLI.  Add to that the solider appears on the older side, which would fit a reserve or Territorial unit.

Here are pictures of the three unit’s badges of WW1.  As you can see they’re very similar.

FB1D4E7B-BACA-4AD9-9AC8-84398E238005.jpeg

E8B0C5E8-37BC-4B04-89C0-89783046B5E5.jpeg

70021E0F-2C45-4C1D-8F90-80ED4C62DBAF.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, NorthStaffsPOW said:

Don't know if you noticed but the little girl second from left with his hand on her shoulder appears to have a sweetheart version of the badge attached to her sash. Nice touch. 

Thanks for noticing because I failed to do so.  Ditto, Frogsmile, for badges.

18 hours ago, Connecticut said:

Add to that the solider appears on the older side, which would fit a reserve or Territorial unit.

Not necessarily. As a 'for instance', my wife's maternal grandfather, a pre-war Territorial, celebrated his 19th birthday on a trooper passing through the Suez Canal in December, 1914. In my time in the TA (in slightly - though not that much - more recent times) many of the blokes were 18 or 19.