Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wirral Down Camp East Winchester

Simon J Emmerson

Hi Folks, I'm after some information regarding Wirral Down Camp. East Winchester. I've a postcard addressed to a Pte serving in the 13th Service Batt RWF. I'd like to know if any other RWF Battalions stayed at this camp? I've a number of studio photo postcards taken by a Winchester photographer. The camp could link them to the 13th.

Many thanks for looking. 

20190809_131859.jpg

It's WINNAL, not Wirral.

Winnal is an area close to Winchester (obviously), now best known as a tading estate and the site of the M3/A34 interchange.

5 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

It's WINNAL, not Wirral.

Winnal is an area close to Winchester (obviously), now best known as a tading estate and the site of the M3/A34 interchange.

WINNALL

JP

Oh apologies for not getting the spelling correct. 

I can see why - they do looke like a double 'r'.

A little bit about Winnall Down Camp from a previous thread #8:

Prior to the start of the War Territorial units had been using Magadlen Hill and I'm aware of references and some photos of the North Hampshire Yeomanry using both Hursley Park and Pitt Corner. As the war began Territorial units and then the 8th Division were moved to a tented camp at Hursley Park. Following the departure of the 8th Division the Hursley Camp was considered unusuable so the 27th Division was mobilised at Magdalen Hill and when this in turn became unable to mobilise a full Division owing to its condition the subsequent Division, the 28th, was mobilised at Hursley, Pitt and Magdalen Hill through the winter of 1914-1915.

By January 1915 hutment camps were under construction at Hursley, Pitt, Flowerdown, Magdalen Hill, Avington Park, Winnall Down (these three are generally referred to as Morn Hill) and Hazeley Down. These camps were to remain in use throughout the war.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/197449-training-camps/?tab=comments#comment-1935620

And this may be of interest:

http://www.stgileshill.org.uk/?page_id=515

JP

Many thanks JP very kind of you to help me 👍