Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with a Naval record

Hi all

I am struggling to interpret my Great grandfather's record which i have attached to this post.

The date on the document is 21st March 2016 by which time he was 20. I thought that he would have ben conscripted before this date.

There is a stamp on the record that states he was transferred to the RNR on the 1st Oct 2016. 

I am struggling both with the handwriting and with just understanding what is going on. I would be really grateful for any guidance, I am happy to do my own research if people can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Kieron

132390.pdf

i am afraid you are suffering from the bad. lo-res standard of scanning for these RNR records.

Your GGF was RNR from 2 March 1916 but was transferred to the RNR Trawler Section from 1 October - a move which probably made little significant difference. He had first enrolled in the RNR as a Deck Hand in the Special Trawler Section (which had lower fitness requirements). I assume he was employed in some maritime capacity at Gravesend pre-enrolment.

He saw service in Motorl Launches (ML) based on HMS COLLEEN (Queenstown, Ireland). After probably training as a seaman gunner (Leading Deck Hand) in Spring 1917 at HMS EXCELLENT, he subsequently served on the books of HMS PRESIDENT III, which handled men who were serving in Defensively Armed Merchant Ships (DAMS). The record does not show which specific DAMS he served in for the following 18 months.

Edited by horatio2

The book "Danger Zone" by E Keble Chatterton has some material on the work of MLs at Queenstown. This attached .pdf image is from that book and shows ML.181. Your GGF was in ML.183.

IMG_20190808_0001.pdf

Edited by horatio2

The post seems to be just over 24hrs old.Perhaps give it more time?