The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My webpage to "The Attitude of the game of Rugby to the outbreak of War"

davidbohl

I've completed a webpage for the club to understand the contrasting attitudes of the game of rugby to the outbreak of war, hope it may be of some interest to the GWF rugby fraternity.

Just hover the mouse over the newspaper clips to see which edition they came from http://www.seftonrugby.org.uk/RugbyAUG1914.html

Edited by davidbohl
update link

Brilliant David, so interesting to see the lads from Batley Rugby listed, in the Yorkshire Evening Post for the Khakl Clad footballers, I recognised one of the lads as being killed he is on the Roll of Honour in the clubhouse. He is Robert Ransome.

I tried looking for the week before in case there was another list but with no luck.

Edited by Roger Thompson

An excellent site Dave, some interesting reading, especially from my neck of the woods (Devon).

Thank you 

Chris

An excellent resource, Dave! Thanks for posting.

Following the Welsh Rugby Union's circular of 29th August 1914 calling on players to enlist (which you refer to), on 31st August both Cardiff RFC and Swansea RFC cancelled their forthcoming fixtures. Other senior clubs, including Newport, Llanelli, Neath, Aberavon, Bridgend and Penarth did so shortly afterwards, as well as many junior Welsh clubs. 

On 4th September, the Welsh Rugby Union officially suspended all fixtures for the duration.

Gwyn