Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Desire trench stump road

BIFFO

I am researching a welsh regiment man who unfortunately K.I.A  15th November 1916,his battalion were in the area of Desire trench/stump road, this is in the Somme area as his body never identified and on Theipval memorial.But do any GWF know where?

:poppy:

Does this help? from McMaster search.

Trench Name Nearest Place Map Sheet Number Map Squares
Dessauer Graben [Desire Trench] Le Sars 57dSE2 & 57cSW1 R 15 c, 16 c, d, 17 c
Desire Support Trench Le Sars 57dSE2 & 57cSW1 M 7 d, 13 b, R 12 c, 17 a, b
Desire Trench [Dessauer Graben] Le Sars 57dSE2 & 57cSW1 R 15 c, 16 c, d, 17 b, c, d

Desire Trench under the header in 17 a and b. I recently undertook some research into a North Staffordshire soldier killed in the vacinity of Stump Road, I shall check my notes later

J81448771_reginatrenchcourcelette.jpg.990d7289f67050ff15f3625cdf3a11ef.jpg

JD in the WD of the 9th batt welsh regiment they relieved the north staffs,my man went out 15th  November 16, with a bomb and bayonet party,cleared three bunkers,nearly cleared a fourth,an unseen machine gun ,mowed down 1 officer wounded,30 ors wounded or missing,I believe my man was one of the missing as he has no known grave and on Thiepvel memorial,

there is some suggestion they were near funky villas

:poppy: 

Not the best map I could've posted. The man I researched like yours is now remembered on the Thiepval Memorial him being a casualty of the 18th November. There is an excellent thread here albeit deals with the 8th NS but it does describe the conditions and the futility of the attacks around Stump Road. I note one of the 9th Welsh casualties from the 15th was laid to rest in Regina Trench Cemetery having been recovered from R 15 (alas the CoG reports for this cemetery contain little more than simple square references from where remains were exhumed) and the Individual Burial Location Map shows a high number for R 15.c. There are around 40ish USB interred at Stump Road Cemetery none of which were concentrated post war. Who was at Funky Villas? that's about seven miles NW from Stump Road

J

1256014342_DesireTrenchStumpRoad.jpg.8a3f631d4e8b49ef80a41952c0d5d76c.jpg

1995503105_57DR15.jpg.3b4f735528f9845095bf30aa815579ad.jpg

Thank you both for your help

J as to who was at funky villas,I wrote to a battlefield guide I know ,they looked in" rats alley" found Desire trench thought  stump road

further along toward funky villas,just shows  even an experienced guide gets it wrong some times,will have a read of your link,but after reading the WD you can see things were a bit hectic